Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

360 Prairie 4wd Actuator Question? Ole Man Moses?

Old 01-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 360 Prairie 4wd Actuator Question? Ole Man Moses?

Uinthas, that service bulletin sounds valuable, Sure would appreciate it if it ends up on Nyroc's web site or you could email it to me. Mine is a 2004 prairie so I'm sure if there's a problem with this stuff many of us will be dealing with it as these machines get older.

Nyroc, I finally got to the point where I started calling Kawie dealers and searching for answers. My Kawie dealer was clueless, so was the second one I called. The third one seemed interested in my problem an had an interesting spin on the problem. He said in his experience the problem sounds like the 2wd / 4wd switch and he's seen quite alot of them go bad and act up like I described, especially since my kebc still works and my actuator runs. His take is that a module failure is actually quite rare and that when they do go the kebc usually goes along with the 4x4. He also said that if the actuator runs there's no reason it shouldn't work, since the switch and module tell it what position to go to..

So I dropped my actuator and module off to Kawie dealer # 3, they will test them (didn't get to find out how they will test them just yet) and call me and let me know the outcome. I'll let ya'll know how it ends up. Thx!

Old 01-10-2005, 01:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Guys, I'm dealing with the same actuator problems on a 360 Prairie. I have the factory manuals with all the test procedures for testing actuators and controllers. I tested everything and all was within specs, but still no actuator function. I finally disassembled the actuator and tested the potentiometer through the complete cycle and found it had a dead spot halfway between the 2wd and 4wd position. I have sent a note to the tech section of Tocos (switch manufactuer) trying to get tech info on switch and a retail replacement source. I thought it was kind of stupid to pay over $200 for an actuator that only needs a $2 switch. If anyone knows of a source for these switches let me know. I'll let you know if the tech guys give me any usefull info.

David

Old 01-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

All I can offer you is the position bulletin now posted on Nyroc's website, check it out & see if it helps..

Old 01-11-2005, 10:14 PM
Range Rover

Hey Caverdave - I noted that dead spot in my potentiometer too, I thought it was interesting that one side of the dead spot causes the actuator motor to run one way and the other side causes it to run in the opposite direction. The page that Unithas sent to Nyroc is the page from the service manual that discusses this actuator. I have since bought a service manual and noted all the test specs and procedures in there. I took my actuator to a Kawie dealer, haven't heard back from him but I know he'll' probably call telling me I need a new actuator.

Anyway, I searched for the mfg of the actuator and control module on the 'net, seems "kokusan denki" makes a zillion electro /mechanical control units for the jap cycle industry and I could locate no wholesalers or part # cross references for this stuff. If you could find a supplier of the tocos potentiometer that would be killer, 'cuz if the actuator motor runs and the control unit tests OK then it HAS to be the pot.

It looks like the actuator case is not completely water tight, there was evidence of moisture in mine. My guess is the pot doesen't like getting wet and others will soon have this problem. I noticed that the 2005 prairie no longer has a vent hose that runs to the actuator case, it now just has a rubber nipple/cap the covers where the vent hose used to attach. Wonder why.

Keep us posted if you find out anything. Thx!

Old 01-12-2005, 01:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Strings, I did get a reply from the "Tocos" tech people today. They don't have any of the pots in stock since they are custom made for Kokusan. They did say that they will make one for $40 with a 4 to 6 week turn around time. I've tried the electronics shop in the nearest town to me(60 miles one way LOL)and the couldn't help. If you live anywhere near civilization, it's a 100K single turn, continuous rotation ,precision pot.
I disassembled my actuator and connected the wires back to the bike, if you start out with the switch and actuator in 2 wd position you could switch to 4WD and rotate the pot and the bike thought everything was kosher but when you would try going back to 2 wd half the time it would start blinking the light. With the actuator assembled on the bike hooked to an ohm meter if you tap the actuator you would get up to a 50k swing, keeps the control unit totaly confused.

If you want to order one of the pots from Tocos It's $40.25 + $5 shipping here's the contact info
Dana Kane
Account Executive
TOCOS
Phone: (847) 884-6664
Fax: (847) 884-6665
Email: dkane@tocos.com

Good luck, CaverDave

Old 01-12-2005, 07:27 PM
Range Rover

Hey Caverdave - That is too cool! If the pot is what goes out on the actuator $40 is a whole lot better than $200+ I don't know if such a pot is available from another supplier or not, it will be interesting to research. Doesn't sound like your typical radio shack item. Thx for the info - Great stuff!

Old 03-20-2005, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Repaired my actuator today with potentsiometer I purchased from tocos dist. in Ontario. Its a simple repair and the price is right.

Old 03-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

This is great news, I wish I would have known about this with the previous 3 I had to replace [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 09-14-2016, 11:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 4 wheel drive doesn't work

Hello,

So I bought a used 2005 Kawasaki Prairie 360 4x4 and the 4wd light is blinking. The guy I bought it from said the actuator is bad. Is there any way to test to see if the actuator is bad? I also hear a belt squeak when I first start it up, but goes when I'm riding around. Is that a bad belt or is something slipping? If anybody could help me out I would appreciate.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Tech Tip / TSB??

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but when I tried PM'ing nyroc directly I got a message that his inbox was full.

Does anyone have the tech tip and TSB mentioned in this thread?

Originally Posted by nyroc
Mine did that after I took it apart. The cap has to go back on in the exact orientation that it came off, or the motor will spin backwards or not at all...I have a tech tip with more details. It is sketchy, but I fixed mine when it did that.
I've been fighting the 4x4 not engaging or disengaging when it does engage and think the information would be helpful in my trouble shooting.

I've registered at https://www.nyrocatv.com and looked all over your website for both and have been unable to find either.

Can you reply with the information or links to where it maybe located?

Thank you -

Ray

2003 & 2004 Kawa Prairie 360 4x4