Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Valve Tappet Clearance ?

Old 12-02-1999, 09:21 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 220 Bayou, Does anyone know the Valve Clearance? Adjust them HOT or COLD? and how often?

Please don't tell me to go buy a book. I know I can do that. All the info I need right now is the Valve Clearance. Thank you for your sharing of your Knowlegde in advance.

Brian

Old 12-02-1999, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian. ok, I won't tell you to go buy a book . Valve clearances are always checked and adjusted cold. I have no info on Kawi specs, but if you call your local Kawi dealer's service dept. & talk very nicely to them I'd bet they would tell you the specs. They will be different for the exhaust and intake, just in case you weren't aware.
Failing that, possibly one of your local cycle accessory outlets would have the info. A lot of them have it on micro fisch or comp. disc. Good Luck.
Oh yeh, as far as how often, a lot depends on how you ride & how much. If you notice a drop in performance or every 6 mos. then it's a good idea to check. They usually tend to close up, affecting your power, rather than getting loose.

------------------
THE AZ HARD PACKER, calmiller@kachina.net

save the public land FOR you, not FROM you..join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online @ www.sharetrails.org

Old 12-06-1999, 03:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adjusting the valves with the piston at top dead center (TDC) on the compression stroke as you mention is important, Mud_Runner. However, when the cam index mark and reference align, I believe the engine is always at TDC compression. The flywheel mark, however, aligns with the reference twice each stroke-cycle; at TDC compression, and TDC exhaust.

I find TDC compression by removing the spark plug, placing a finger in the spark plug hole, and pulling the starter rope gently. When I feel air rushing out, indicating the compression stroke, I continue until the flywheel mark "T" line reaches the index mark, indicating TDC compression alignment.

Without the flywheel and index mark, (say you can't or don't want to remove the timing mark window or flywheel case cover, you can come pretty close by sticking something like a piece of wire into the spark plug hole and feeling the piston's rise to its TDC point (on some old Brit cycles, this was the standard procedure for finding TDC).

Tree Farmer

P.S. Everyone doesn't want or need a service manual. While I think these books nearly essential for serious maintenance and repair, some owners aren't interested in performing their own mechanical work to this extent. Even in those cases, I think a manual useful in keeping a "service provider," shall we say, well . . . in understanding the required procedures suggested by the shop.

Nevertheless, manuals aren't mandatory. In the bad old days, when there weren't too many automobile model varieties around, auto parts manufacturers published neat little "tune-up guides." These cards or posters listed most makes amd models of automobile engine types, the heat range and gaps of their spark plugs, their timing specifications (e.g., point gap and initial advance), their valve clearances, their firing order and numbering schemes, etc., in other words, the essential tune-up data.

My question: Does such a "tune-up" guide, perhaps published by a parts manufacturer like NGK Spark Plug Co., Ltd., exist for ATV's? If not, an enterprising publisher might find a demand for them.

T.F.

P.P.S. The best, most comprehensive, and most readable account of "How To Adjust Your Valves" was recently re-published on the Forum by Armyman.

T.

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 12-06-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 12-06-1999).]

Old 12-06-1999, 02:36 PM
Trailblazer

Intake is .006 to .008
Exhaust is .007 to .009
Cold engine only!!!
Make sure you are at top dead center with both the cam gear mark and the flywheel mark seen through the hole on the left side of the motor.

Old 12-06-1999, 05:00 PM
Range Rover

Thanks Everyone for taking the time to help with this. I have now written down the specs in a book for future reference.

Brian