Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

Honda 420 rancher oil plug issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 12:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda 420 rancher oil plug issue

I have a 2007 Honda 420 Rancher 2x4 four wheeler. I over tightened the oil plug and the aluminum threads inside the case have broken off and are inside of the engine. Of course I am assuming the broken pieces are still inside the case. I didn't see them when I drained the oil. I took the bike to the store where I purchased it and let them take a look at it. They said there are 2 options:

1. Let them replace the case...cost ranges from 1600.00 to 1900.00 after everything. (take out engine, new seals, bearings, ect, replace engine.)

2. Take it to a welding fabrication shop and see what they suggest.

I went with the 2nd option first. They (welding shop) want to drill out the drain hole bigger and get a hose and see if they can suck out the broken pieces then weld a new aluminum drain plug over the drilled hole. The broken pieces probably will not fit through the drain hole.

I did ask the Honda dealership about this and they said just make sure there will not be any metal getting inside the case that should not be in there and this will not void my service agreement.

Any suggestion are gladly appreciated.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:35 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Dont worry it happens alot. You need a "Heli coil" to set you on your way. Never happened to me but use the "search" feature on this site and it has happened to many and a Heli coil is the cheap easy fix. Here is a video on it.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFYa6sjhh_E

Old 10-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This isn't your typical "stripped" threads issue, so the helicoil thing does not apply!

The plug threads into a tab welded into the bottom of the case (seems like a dumb design, not usually typical of Honda???), and if you overtighten you will indeed break it off. Everyone repeat after me....TORQUE WRENCH!

In the Honda forum, you will get advice from folks who actually own this model. There are several professional Honda techs in there as well, so best to ask them. See you there....

Old 10-25-2009, 11:04 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by TLC
Dont worry it happens alot. You need a "Heli coil" to set you on your way. Never happened to me but use the "search" feature on this site and it has happened to many and a Heli coil is the cheap easy fix. Here is a video on it.YouTube - How to Repair Threads With A Heli-Coil Insert
Ok never mind then.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:41 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Originally Posted by TLC
Ok never mind then.
Wish the fix was that simple!!!!

Old 10-26-2009, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder

Welcome

Old 10-27-2009, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider

welcome and good luck!

Old 10-27-2009, 07:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks

Old 03-26-2010, 07:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default striped drain plug

I had the same thing happen to me two days ago after researching the net forms this is verry common. Honda is aware of this but is reluctant to do anything except replace case at buyers cost. In some cases I have read that Honda paid partial or all of repair exspences. My dealer said they would contact the district service manager and see what he could do for me. I think we should all report this to the dealerships and insist they report it to district service managers around the world. This is clearly a bad design. Even when torque to manufactors specifications with a torque wrench it fails. If enough reports come in they may put out a recall. I don't think it should be up to the consumer to pay the cost for a bad design. Too many people are trying to fix the problem themselves and I believe it will eventually lead to more problems down the road. Pass the word on different forums and hopefully we can have this problem rectified.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Welcome!

Quick Reply: Honda 420 rancher oil plug issue