Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Atv logging

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 06:00 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atv logging

Alright, the cabin is nearly complete and it's time to start cleaning the place up, I got alot of windfalls and logging scrap around the camp area and gonna start cleaning it up. Some will get burnt right away the rest will be firewood for the stove. Other than the basics (chainsaw, chains, cable, winch,Ax) any suggestions for some low impact logging/ clean up

Old 09-05-2008, 07:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default Atv logging

Might want to add a tow strap or heavy rope. I do some wood hauling and find that sometimes you get a hanger and needs a bit of a jerk to get it loose. (pull jerk - not person jerk) I don't really like doing this with a chain or cable since there is no give. The rope though wears pretty fast when towing.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Range Rover
Default Atv logging

point well taken, looking at building a small logging trailer, since more times than not it is just me doing the work.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider
Default Atv logging

you might want to look into something like this, these are kinda $$ to buy but i dont think it would be too hard to make. me and my mothers husband made one in a couple of hours. it is nice to raise the front of the log/tree up so it is not tearing into the ground

Old 09-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Range Rover
Default Atv logging

I have seen those before, seem like they would be fairly simple to make.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Atv logging

I like the looks of Montana Jacks QuadSkidder but it's way too expensive. That's another thing that would be cheap and easy to make. Check out the videos at the bottom of the page.

Bad link. Maybe this will work. http://www.montanajacks.com/in...on=VIEWPROD&ProdID=247

Old 09-06-2008, 03:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default Atv logging

A logging arch of some kind is helpful. yes you can skid logs behind your ATV without one but it is much, much easier using one. Easier on your machine too.

A timberjack is pretty helpful. Helps keep your chain out of the dirt and you don't have to stop and sharpen it nearly as much.

Northern Tool Timberjack

If you're going to be doing any sort of pulling and horsing logs around a good grab chain is almost essential.
Northern Tool Log Grab Chain

I haven't tried one personally yet but one of these looks to be a very useful thing to have when cleaning up trees and brush.
Northern Tool Heavy Duty Brush Grubber

I'm really wanting to get one of these myself. Looks to be just the thing for grubbing out overgrown fields and fence lines.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Default Atv logging

I've hauled a lot of firewood over the past five years with my ATV. My advice would be to get a small, light trailer. I often get into tight spots and need to disconnect my 32 x 40-inch trailer so I can move it around by hand. You can waste a lot of time trying to maneuver a larger trailer around in the woods, especially if you have to do any backing up.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:08 AM
Range Rover
Default Atv logging

i like that trailer but u know how they have thos semi trailers i was thinking like that but it folded into itself.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Default Atv logging

If you have a lot of firewood to cut, you can gain efficiency by having two people and two ATV's, one pulling a log splitter and one pulling a trailer. Just move around from tree to tree, with one person cutting and splitting, and the other hauling and stackling.

Quick Reply: Atv logging