Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Boys up North

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boys up North

What are the ways that you northern guys layer? Does UnderArmour really work? The older I get, the easier it is that I get cold sitting in a deer stand. Dont laugh, but I have been using a Browning camo'ed sleeping bag to get in. It works great but is bulky. What things do yall use or do? Thanks

Old 08-27-2007, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boys up North

Sleeping bag? Sounds good to me.....

Old 08-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boys up North

The red head extreme thermals (Bass Pro) does very well. Its also a lot cheaper then under armor. Wool also does well but the down fall is having to dry clean it.
Just my .02

Old 08-30-2007, 05:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default Boys up North

It's all about layers.

The ones I start off with are polypropylene. I have a couple of different sets that are varied weights depending on how cold it is. The heavy set is waaaay to heavy unless it is extremely cold.

If I'm stand hunting and it is 15 degrees I'll wear the light poly, some sweats that I can remove if needed, my regular clothing and then my hunting bibs and parka. Now if I was walking to the stand I would have to take off the hunting parka and bibs. I would probably sweat too much. That set up would also be too heavy for stalking or walking type of hunting.

Oh, and you have got to wear a hat. You lose a lot of heat through your head. Not just a ballcap. Cover your head and neck. A good hat of some type and a GI scarf is great to keep the wind from getting down your neck and keep the heat from escaping. There was a reason our grandfathers and great grandfathers were issued scarves as winter kit in WW1 and WW2 and Korea. I think the sleeping bag is a great idea by the way. I'd invest in some polypro but I'd keep packing it along.

And another thing you can do is to keep some sot of thermal break for your feet. A chunk of foam or something will keep them off of the ground or the steel or aluminum of your deer stand and keep the cold from transferring into your boots. I know it doesn't sound like much but getting your feet off of that really does make a difference. Same thing goes for your butt. As much padding as possible between you and cold stuff.

Every little trick you can use to keep warm helps. Even if it only helps you stay comfortable and out another 10 minutes on the stand. I see a lot more animals when everyone else has got tired and bored and went back to the house. If you're warm and have a comfortable seat you can stay out there from sunrise until sunset while everyone else is running back and forth to their stands and chasing deer to you.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer
Default Boys up North

I hunt in November in Northern Ontario. 2 yrs ago was probally my coldest hunt I ever took part in. Mornings were -20Celsius. -30 windchill. I think that converts to 0 or just below in Faurenheiut. I am a big fan of fleece. I use a polyester type undershirt to start off. This is just like a second skin. It helps to wick moisture away from the body but keep you warm. My second layer is fleece. This is undergarment. Mine is Nature wear. This keeps you unbelievablely warm and is light. I then layer up with loose clothing not to restrict blood flow which will lead to get you cold. ie sweatshirts, track pants etc. I then wear my bib pants and my parka. ALways wear a toque to keep the head and ears warm and a neck warmer to keep the heat in not to escape around the collar area. ALways wear fgloves as well. When I am walking I will wear a ball cap and usually light jacket. I will pack my outer clothing in with me because you are sure to sweat and then get cold. For me the biggest thing to keep warm is your feet. In our weather in cold temps my Rocky Arctic bear claws don't cut it in our climate with 1400 grams of thinsulate for stand hunting. 2 hours and the feet are cooling off. Only thing that works for me is -100 rated Sorel glaciers or Baffin snow boots. I wear one pair only of smart wool socks of expedition grade for my feet. Too many pairs of socks cuts down on circulation, also causing excessive sweating then cold feet.
When all else fails I do have a old sleeping bag or wool blanket in the stand as well. They work great for keeping warm.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider
Default Boys up North

I appreciate the help guys. Glad to hear someone else using a sleeping bag!!!! So if I hear you guys correctly, you DO NOT use cotton next to your skin? Cotton socks?

Old 08-31-2007, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Boys up North

use some kind of wicking cloth next to your body ,then layer

Old 09-02-2007, 02:28 AM
Trailblazer
Default Boys up North

The hand & foot warmers can help a lot too. They last from 4-12 hours usually and then you just throw them away. They are cheap as well. We get some cold weather here in uptsate NY and being warm is much nicer.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boys up North

I like the under armor compression shirt and pants or some other non-cotton breathable clothing next to the skin. Then an inner layer of fleece over that with and outer layer that is water proof and breathable. Another thing to remember is that you need the same or similar on your head. They make a under armor beanie and I put a wool stocking cap over that followed by a helmet if I am riding a 4-wheeler or snowmachine.

Been outside in the mountains when it was 45 below with this overnight (not by my choosing) and to 30 below (by my choosing) and I have been plenty warm. Main thing is NO COTTON and do what ever you can to not break a sweat. Try telling that to your boss! "I am am working slow so I don't break a sweat and catch a chill.....

Swampy

Old 10-31-2007, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boys up North

i built myself an inclosed stand and have a 22,000 btu wall mount heater [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] you can see my pics for pictures of my deerstand. but i always wear my lacrosse icemans that are good for 80 below and i got heavy blazed orange. technically i can get it so hot in my deerstand i can sit in there in my boxers [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] and a couple years ago it got to -17 here on opening morning.

Quick Reply: Boys up North