Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Best ATV for farm/ranch work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best ATV for farm/ranch work?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 700vtwinmanMy general rule of thumb is this, listen to those with experience and those that bash any brand, disregard anything they say. If someone has to bash another brand, it usually is b/c they are trying to make themselves feel good about their machine.</end quote></div>

did you ever hit the nail on the head. It is like they have to tear down every other brand of ATV to reassure themselves they made the right decision when they bought theirs. It is like they have their entire manhood and personal identity wrapped up in a freaking ATV. Heaven forbid if you happen to point out a deficiency of some kind in their particular brand of ATV that someone might want to consider when making a purchase decision. It's like you just questioned or outright insulted their manhood. They do the equivalent of sticking their fingers in the ears and run away hollering "la-la-la-la!!!I'm not listening!!!la-la-la-la!!!I can't hear you la-la-la-la!!!!" It is simply an amazing thing to behold for someone who can't fathom that sort of attachment to an ATV.

I mean I ride a Polaris and a Honda but it isn't like I don't recognize their shortcomings or have any sort of vested interest in their image or something. I rag on honda and polaris all the time. They're just the ATVs I have now. In a few months I'm going to buy another one. Things about it will be deficient but I don't get all of my manhood and being wrapped up in it. It is just an ATV.

I've always had a theory that loyalty to a particular brand of vehicle is inversely proportionate to IQ. From the endless Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge vs everything else to I guess Can-Am vs. Polaris vs. Honda vs. Suzuki vs Arctic Act etc. I think there is evidence it holds some truth.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

im gonna have to go with the sportman too....
i own an 04 Sportsman 500HO.......ive used mine in the garden, to mow grass, pull downed trees out of the way, move cars, built things, haul ton of stuff including pulling cars.
the sportsman is an amazing machine, its been a excellent work horse for me and has never let me down, its also served as a fun toy for trails as well. they are also excellent in all weather and always a comfortable ride.
but go try them out and see which one suits you best
on a side note my second choice would be AC too, as they seem to be well machines as well.
but polaris will always be my first choice as long as they keep up this stellar performance and value!

Old 09-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe AC has the most applications for farm work of any quad out there...it still won't be as good as a tractor, but you can buy a lot of AC stuff for working around a farm or for deer plots. Also, if it is strictly for farm work, you can also get AC with a 700 cc diesel engine.

QUOTE FOR TODAY:

"Guns Don't Cause Crime, the Irish Do."

Old 09-17-2007, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DeeDawg

I believe AC has the most applications for farm work of any quad out there...it still won't be as good as a tractor, but you can buy a lot of AC stuff for working around a farm or for deer plots. Also, if it is strictly for farm work, you can also get AC with a 700 cc diesel engine.

QUOTE FOR TODAY:

"Guns Don't Cause Crime, the Irish Do."</end quote></div>

Very good point. The Arctic Cat attachments are called Speed Point. I am actually looking at the main Speed Point device for my polaris. They said it should would with a slight modification. I have looked at Kolpin, Swisher, and others for attachments and the AC Speed Point seems to be the best for IRS machine. That is b/c AC uses two small wheels directly below the 2" receiver hitch that helps use the weight of the machine. The other systems require an adjustable bar below the IRS to minimize squating, but will reduce the ground clearance a good amount.

Polaris does have some lock-n-ride and other impliments like pull mowers, disc etc, but Arctic Cat has the best set up.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Trailblazer

Not sure if you have ever thought about a diesel, but the AC 700 diesel is a good powerful unit. I have heard that the top end isn't good enough to chase cattle and other livestock, but i was told by a dealer when they got the first one in the strapped a 700 diesel and a gas back to back, and on the first pull they started at the same time and the diesel just took off, and on the second pull they gave a gas a head start, and as soon as the diesel started to pull the gas was spinning all four tires forward going backwards. This was on pavement as well and nothing broke in either unit. The diesel hands down for towing, fuel economy, and it can run on many differnt blends of diesel.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I'm not sure how fast or how far you want to chase livestock, but I can tell you that the diesel will work fine for that. Having chased a cow or three myself, I can tell you that a high speed chase isn't in your best interest, nor that of the cow.