Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

What have you hunters found as the best deer attractant?

Old 12-03-2000, 04:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a lot of soy bean,clover, and other fields to contend with. I would like to plant or put the best attractant on my property, of course. Is "Deer Cane" any good? There are numerous others types of stuff to plant and other types of powders,etc out there.Which of them work?

Old 12-04-2000, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

SuperDuty:
Have you tried the Mossy Oak brand Biologic? I can't remember what all is in the seed they give you, but it is supposed to work great. The deer love it, and because of the minerals and protein availability, they grow huge racks as well. I ordered something from the Mossy Oak web page once, they sent me a package of seed as a "trial test" or whatever they call it. Basically a little sample pack. I was saving it for planting up at our property, but I think my mom threw it out on accident.

Best of luck, let me know what works if you find something.

Mike

Old 12-04-2000, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

I have had very good success with winter wheat, oats and winter peas in areas where I hunt in both Mississippi and Texas. I agree with the earlier post that many of the "high dollar" blends are just that, blends of what you can mix yourself. Granted, some of these mixes may include seeds from high protein plants that grow in New Zealand. If I ever decide to hunt there I might consider buying a bag before I leave.

I would concentrate more money and effort to get your soil in the proper condition so that whatever you decide to plant and grow, it reaches full potential. Otherwise you will end up with expensive seed that does poorly due to poor soil conditions.

Old 12-04-2000, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

Excellent point Springdrl! The best seed in the world ain't gonna grow in poor soil conditions. I think soil samples would be a great idea for a specified "food plot" area only, if I were to buy seed, try to do it that way. With a soil sample, you know exactly what minerals you are lacking, what the pH levels are, etc., and can then manage the soil according to your deficiencies, thus ensuring the crop to have the most nutrients available, giving the deer that added benefit.

Good point!

Mike

Old 12-05-2000, 06:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have found the best deer attractor to be
"NO HUNTING" signs! Always deer in those fields.

Old 12-06-2000, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

A salt block.

Old 12-07-2000, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

Rod said it! A salt block. Plant anything you think they will eat, and put a salt block in a little clearing or somewhere you will have a clear view. They will come to it every two days, at the least. Good luck.

Old 12-10-2000, 08:45 PM
Range Rover

So no one has tried "Deer Cane"? You know, the powder that mixes with moisture to form a supposedly "cocaine" like addiction.Thanks

Old 12-11-2000, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

I used Deercaine. The deer really did wallow in it and pawed the ground for months afterward.

Atractants? Apples, Cabbage, sugar beets, potatoes, corn.

Corn will work very well and is less bulky than the other attactants.

Just lay out some corn and throw a couple of apples and head of cabbage in there. You will get action.

Grandpa's deer suckers did not work for me.

Old 12-11-2000, 09:02 PM
Trailblazer

Actually , if you read the ingredients on the deer cane package you'll find that you can make it yourself at a substantial saving. All of the ingredients are most likely at any feed store. At least they are here. If you use a salt/mineral block try a little experiment and watch what happens after a few days. Pour some molasses on top of the block.
Good Luck....kodiac....
http://photos.yahoo.com/wd42000

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What have you hunters found as the best deer attractant?