Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

How to install front wheel bearings...

Old 01-22-2000, 01:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt,

It's been a while since I've done my ft. wheels, but if I remember correctly the clip is behind the seal on the inside of the hub. You should be able to use a punch or screwdriver to drive the seal out from the opposite side. As I said, it has been a while.

------------------
Shane

'97 Honda 300 4X - Vamped, Locked, & Lifted

Old 01-22-2000, 02:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

How do i get to the other side to pry it out??? I need to remove the shaft or axel? Also there was a piece with 3 bolts in it with the clips. we removed the bolts and clips but we cannot remove that piece. Are we supposed to?

------------------
Matt Sibley

1999 Honda 300 4x4 Vampires, Lift Kit, 2500lb WARN winch

Old 01-22-2000, 08:44 PM
Range Rover

dont remove the axle.its been over a year since i did mine and i dont have it anymore to look at so i have to go by memory. you took off the drum,and the yoke off the end of the axle, the 4 bolts holding the backing plate you may have to remove the hold downs for the brake hose for more slack i cant remember,the backing plate should come off and out of the way.remove the nuts from the upper and lower ball joints and the outer tie rod end(i forgot about this ),move the tie rod out of the way ,after the spindle is loose from the ball joints the spindle should come off,now which step are you at so i can get an idea of whats wrong.

Old 01-22-2000, 11:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, I do not have the spindel broke loose from the inner bearings, or at least it did not come out! I removed all of the bolts from the yoke, does the yoke need to come off? After i break the spindle loose, then what? Also if you can tell me, how am I supposed to put it back in? Give me any details you can. Thanks for your help.

------------------
Matt Sibley

Old 01-23-2000, 12:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

matt,

you will have to take the upper and lower ball joints out of the spindle. they are pressed in, so it will take more than a little knock. also, disconnect the tierod end from the spindle. after you have these three things disconnected, the spindle nut removed, and the backing plate unscrewed, the spindle should come off. don't pull too hard on the cv shaft after the spindle is off because it will come out fairly easy.

------------------
Shane

'97 Honda 300 4X - Vamped, Locked, & Lifted

Old 01-23-2000, 12:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well it seems we all have a different idea of what the spindle is. What needs to come off? The piece that looks like a rod with a grooved end(what I would call the spindle) or the yoke, the piece where you removed the top and bottom bolts and the steering rod?

------------------
Matt Sibley

Old 01-23-2000, 01:00 PM
Range Rover

the yoke has to come off the end of the axle.take the axle nut off.tap the axle in while you pull out on the yoke the yoke should slide right off just use a punch so you dont flatten the end of the axle with the hammer.now everything should come off over the axle.when the spindle is off remove the inner seal the c-clip then flip it over and drive out the old bearing,i think i used a big socket to do this.drive the new bearing in put the c-clip on then the seals slide the spindle over the axle bolt it to the ball joints hook up the outer tie rod end dont forget your cotter pins,bolt the backing plate on,slide the yoke on torque the axle nut put the drum and tire on adjust the brakes and your done.hope this helps

Old 01-23-2000, 01:31 PM
Range Rover

we must have been typing at the same time cause i didn't notice your last post.your steering rod hooks to the spindle,the yoke has the wheel studs in it,the rod with the grooves i assume your talking about the outer cv joint and thats part of the axle and does not come off.

Old 01-23-2000, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all of your help guys!!! We finally figured it out, you really have to give that thing a real WHACK to get that piece off with the bearings inside. We completed one side today but we ran out of time, because I had to go to basketball practice for the other side to be complete. We will finish it soon. Thanks again, my snorkel will be the next big job I do.

------------------
Matt Sibley