I grounded the lg/r wire and my problem was solved
I did a modify by installing a togle switch/w/jumper to the wire Now when the
engine is completly warmed up I flick the switch off the nutural lite goes off
and engine works normal thank you Eddie

Old 10-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 Honda TRX350"></title><script src=

I am looking to buy a 350 4x4. It looks like a 86 or 87. How do you tell the difference between the two years?

Old 12-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Gimpster
Take off the seat. Look along the frame rail where the seat rests, just above the side covers. There are some wires routed there that the connectors have been known to get loose. Since they are single bullet connectors with black rubber coating, the female ends can be slightly snugged with a plier and reconnected. I have had heavier riders of those old 350's that after prolonged use they sag the seat and will actually stress these connectors, from the seat pushing against them just enough to loose connection when shifted into gear killing the engine. It is worth looking into.
I have also been seeing CDI problems lately on the old thugs doing the same thing

Carb problems with them around here are generally taken care of by replacing the needle jet set. If the unit pushes any black smoke from the exhaust, the jet needle has rattled a groove in it and worn the needle jet. Also on the side of the carb under a plastic cover there is a link assembly from the throttle cable plate pivot to the venturi. If the gap in the fork is set wrong, it will make the venturi lift the jet needle too soon or too far as per opening position of the throttle plate, causing them to run rich and foul spark plugs after a few rides also.

Fuel pumps on these units, as noted before, will fail. To make sure the problem is cured when replacing it with a new Honda pump unit, also replace the fuel pump relay. When one of the two units fail, the other is soon to fail there after. If a relay is not replaced along with the pump, it can cause a new pump to fail shortly after install. After replaceing over 200 of the pumps and relays together I have had future failures of them on the repaired units at nearly 1 percent.

Yes, from the get go, these units have had poor starting systems. Starting with the gear tooth problem outlined by dzzy. I have also seen high amounts of one-way bearings (sprag) failures. Mainly in units that oil changes are far and in between. The starter motors on them have a 4 brush holder in them and turn over backwards compared to the newer Honda ATV starters which have 2 brush holders within. Try not to crank these units over for long periods of time. Premature brush wear will result. Note: the brushes on these starters will wear down to the wire leading to the brush and will destroy the armeture when the brush wears out. Newer Honda starters (2 brush type) have a stopper, so to speak, within the brush holder plate thet will keep this from happening. As I stated before, the newer (better designed) starters will not interchange into the older 350's, as they turn the wrong direction.

Lumber wagon ride on the pre 90's 350's are result from short travel suspention, and also contributing is the fact they do not have front A-arms. Rather a front swing arm simular to the rear on a solid axle quad. If looking into purchasing one of these quads, pay some attention of the pivot bearing condition of the front swing assembly. It is a neglected part in maintainance by owners and many "oil change" type bike shops (non dealers).

Hope you can utilize some of this info... In good condition they are a pretty good work horse, not a speedster though

----- Gimp -----
hello im new here and read this i have the problem of plug fouling and black smoke tryd everything but new needle will try it .

Old 12-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

i bought my 86/87 trx 350 this summer and tor it down to the frame repaird and primed n painted everything motor smoked wqhen bought put new piston rings ,replaced 1 velv and seated them all motor runs great but when i finaly got to go for the first ride the plug fouled up after i was done could not figure out why im burning tso much gas to make the plug blake sootie it runs perfect the the plug cant fire threw the soot.need to get the new needle.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Cool 86 honda fourtrax

I am new here and basically to the 4 wheeler scene. I recently purchased a 86 honda fourtrax it has a aftermarket fuel pump on it that doesnt work. I am going to replace it with a low psi pump and a fuel regulator, but was wondering it appears from what i have read this is the only year honda put the fuel tank under the seat requiring a pump and if that is correct would it be possible to change it to a upper fuel tank from one that is a yr or so newer or even older to eliminate the fuel pump altogether. I only paid 300 for this bike it did run but was dumping fuel,my opinion was to much pressure from the aftermarket pump. Anyway i would like to get away from the pump if possible any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought a honda 86 350trx. I Do not get spark and i my gas pump doesn't work. it also has a pink and green wire cut in the steering column. The two wire are not cut on the ignition. So if anybody has a clue where the two go and how i can figure out why my four wheeler isn't getting spark and the fuel pump isn't working please let me know. I'm at wits end.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Talking 86 honda trx 250

well all ive got to say that when i put mine back to working order the worst part was the rust in the tank from sitting at the barn for 7+ years and the carb was filthy,after cleaning the carb and testing it with a milk jug as a fuel tank the darn thing hauls butt! later on i cleaned the tank and gave it a plastikoat treatment(well worth the investment) anyway i know this thing very kwick ive got a mile long dirt driveway and i cant go all out since the steering is wore out and is all over the place but i keep up with my neighbors kid wich hes got one of them banshees so you can figure that one out, a heck of a fouir wheeler i wonder if the new ones are this reliable and strong, happy trailing and be safe !

Old 07-14-2013, 03:26 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

They are asking $2200 CDN $$, about $50USD…LOL! Damn CDN Dollar….
Must be a old post ,they take Canadian money at par when I go to the States.