Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex nerf bars and boots

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2000, 10:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
After a large flight 5'+ high and 20'+ long I wound up with a torn up ancle because my foot slipped off the peg and got twisted and ran over by the right rear tire.
So my question is what brand/make of nerf bars are the best and can still be able keep the mud guard/foot peg with out removing it.
Also I just ordered the Alpinestars M4 (atv) boots and was wondering if they are any good....waterproof?

Thanks so much for you time!!
Paul

Old 04-18-2000, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

I am not sure about the nerfs but i have alpinestar tech7 motcross botts and I love them every time I jump with out them my ankle starts hurting and when I kick my 250r I am not worried about the kick starting coming back and hitting me well remember ride red ride smart and ride hard!!!!!!!!!!1

Old 04-18-2000, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you have a misconception of what the function of nerfs is. What they are NOT are safety nets for flying feet. The primary function of nerf is to prevent the wheels of other quads from coming in on you in hole shot turns or other turns with a lot of traffic. Getting in the habit of relying on nerfs or the webbing to catch your feet can be extremely dangerous as feet can easily become entangled in the webbing or even go thru the openings onto the ground. A better cure for flying feet would be to modify your form when landing off jumps to enable you to keep your feet on the pegs. Some use nerfs when riding in tight trail sections or woods to ward off rocks or trees, however.
As to the boots you mention, I have no experience with the M4's but Alpine does make an excellent boot in other models so I'd guess these would be satisfactory also. Waterproof? Being leather they could not be waterproof..water resistant possibly. I have an old pair of Hi- Point trials boots that are waterproof, but they are rubber!

Old 04-19-2000, 01:45 AM
Range Rover

I got a pair of M4's at Christmas and really like them a lot! They're kinda stiff though and take a while to break in, but I really doubt they're any more waterproof than any other brand of MX boot. I treated mine with a leather softener and water protectant, and they seem to be okay for most types of riding, but don't expect to be able to stand in water for very long!

Old 04-19-2000, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

My nerfs have saved me many times. They do help when your feet slip off the pegs in flight. Not many people take their feet off the pegs, in flight on purpose.

Old 04-19-2000, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

if you wanna keep you stock mudguard I would get the Ac nerfs. I have them and they are great. I took off my mudguards before go I don't how they work with them but they say they work fine. for boots I have Fox formas and they are very very strong. They've lasted me forever! I would get those or alpinestars tech 8 or tech 5. the nerfs aren't built for saving flying feet but they will if they have to. so see ya later