Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Question about possible tranny or chain problem...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 03:42 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up an 86 350X and it runs good, but right after I got it home I noticed something strange. When I let the clutch out, as I feel it start to engage then proceed to let the clutch out the rest of the way, it's like it catches really hard and jerks the bike real hard at the very end of the clutch engagement.

With the bike in gear, engine off, and the clutch disengaged, it should just roll smooth right? If I roll it under these conditions, the chain seems to jump a bit as the bike is rolling (only every few times per revolution of the engine sprocket). The clutch doesn't engage until half way through the end of the stroke and there is plenty of free play, so I think that it is ok.

The chain and sprockets are new, but the chain looks really dry.

I am concerned that it might be an issue with the transmission, can anyone offer any suggestions or tests I can do to verify where the problem might be?

Thanks,
Dean

Old 07-26-2002, 01:16 AM
The Facility

I assume this is when you first start off right? Try taking off from 2nd gear and see if it does it.

If it still does it, you most likely have a worn clutch basket or warped steel plates.

If it doesn't do it by starting in 2nd, you will likely have some problems in the transmision with either first gear on the main shaft or counter shaft [or both gears]

Go to your dealer and grab a clutch cover gasket. It wouldn't hurt anything to tear into it and inspect the clutch componets. You never know......you may find something that could cause a problem later on.

Good luck

Old 07-26-2002, 02:50 PM
Range Rover

I went to the dealer last night, and they were saying the same thing in regards to it sounding like it could be a clutch basket. It sounds like it would be pretty easy to tear into.

Also, the guy at the dealer mentioned that if the previous owner had used regular automotive oil in the crankcase, it could make the clutch discs grabby, does this make sense? The oil looks pretty clean (like he just replaced it), but I am not sure what oil it is. I bought some good oil and will do an oil change this weekend.

Thanks for the help.

Dean