Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda fourtrax 90!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the Honda fourtrax 90 at keeping up with larger atv's out on the trail? Can it go threw some mud with out doing and damage? What is the top speed ? Will the Yamaha breeze 100 be alot more powerful because it is a 2 stroke? Would anyone have first hand experience with this atv?

Thanks

Old 07-16-2002, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

My honda 90 is pretty good at keeping up with the larger atv's. But the top speed is only about 28 mph. The only thing I don't like about it is that pain in the butt pull-starter and no reverse. I got a first place in a mud bog with it. I would reccomend it over the breeze because it has honda reliability and i really like to shift gears instead of being automatic. Unless yamaha came out with a new breeze, it is a 125cc 4-stroke engine, and the age requirement on it is 16 or over. It has reverse and electric start. In my opinion i would get the 90.
I hope this helped some.
-matt

Old 07-17-2002, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

I highly recommend the 90. Of all the kids quads, it is the only one I trust on a long cross country ride. My son has ridden his everywhere I go, including some gnarley technical stuff!! Top speed isn't great, so you may have to ride a little slower, but hey that's part of the family riding thing.

The Breeze is a play bike, not a cross country machine. It doesn't have engine braking. It's a great advantage because on a bad downhill, they can just put it in a low gear and putt down the thing. With an automatic, they have to rely on the brakes alone, which can be difficult.

Old 07-17-2002, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

Wow ,thanks to all for the great reviews !I know now for sure it will be that one when I am ready.

Old 07-17-2002, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll add my 2 cents in with agreement to most of what has been said.

My oldest, now 10 1/2, has been riding a TRX 90 since he was 8. Top speed, according to our ATV speedos, is 34 MPH. Basically, he goes where we go (Prairie 650 and Suzuki Eiger - both 4x4's) About the only thing to stop him is that he can get high centered when going through ruts made by full size ATV's. Ours has a rear rack and I have added a bumper board so if he does get stuck it only takes a little push to get him out. It can handle water crossings - although steering can be a problem, the front end will float. This does keep the snorkle out of the water but he can only go straight. This is for crossings over 18" though. We usually ride 35 -40 miles in rough East Tennessee trails. (Royal Blue for those who have been there, much like Coal Creek). We have also done 85 mile days on sandy trails in Wisconsin.

The TRX 90 is bullitproof. Yes, an electric starter would be nice but it almost always starts on the first pull. It is a very cold blooded machine - you really need to nurse it for the first 2 - 4 minutes of running time. After that, no problems. There is no comparison to a Breeze. A friends son (same age and size as mine) has one. The boys rode together once on some rolling farmland. Granted, my son had a lot more riding experience then the other boy but the 90 performed better than the 125. I would expect the 125 to be faster on a flat out straight, but that did not seem to be the case here.

We have a '96 model. I've changed the oil, put new tires on the rear and replaced the rear brakes. Other than lube and clean it, that's it.

My best recommendation for having your kid ride with you on "real" trails is to get hands-free helmet radios. Sure it will set you back a few hundred bucks but it gives you the ability to stop your kid with just a word. You can also talk them through a tough stretch. Just a simple thing - like warning about some hazard or traffic ahead can save your child's life.

Jaybee