Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Best used quad for around $1500?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 10:53 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll sell my 300ex for 1700 do you want it? Its a 96 with new battery and a wb slip-on

Old 06-28-2002, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

Hey,

thanks for all the suggestions. i guess it comes down to a Warrior, 30EX, or a 250x or the 250r. i'll just have to keep looking and see what pops up locally.

thrash - thanks for the offer, but you're a bit far away. can't exactly drive over this afternoon and take it for a test drive. lol. and besides, i don't have all my money together yet ne ways. just doing the planning, looking, pricing thing right now. the buying will come in a month or two.

thanks,
bigmac

Old 06-28-2002, 12:56 PM
MrP
Pro Rider

You can look on ebay also.

Old 06-28-2002, 01:59 PM
Range Rover

I'm probably going to get abused for suggesting this, but my old Suzuki Quadsport 230 was a pretty good bike. Never broke down and was a lightweight, torquey bike. You may have trouble finding one that isn't abused, though. I recently picked up an '86 Quadracer for about $800 (lucky find) and put about $300 into it. It looks like crap but it runs strong. Not a bad tradeoff.

Old 06-28-2002, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

Bigmack

Depending on the market in your area, you are not going to get much for $1,500 unless you get lucky and find a great buy. Don't expect to get much of a buy through a dealer or even the classifieds. Dealers know the value of a decent machine and any good buy that goes into the classified doesn't generally last long. Be patient, a good deal is out there, you just have to find it. I have some friends that attend snowmobile auctions up in Michigan and will occasionally pick up a nice atv for a steal. Just have to be in the right place at the right time.

I would look for a good Honda 250x or a Yamaha Warrior. Both are made of a proven design and there are tons of oem parts and aftermarket goodies for both of them. You probably will not find a Honda 250r in that price range unless it is in seriously bad condition. I have seen them go for $2,500 - $3,000 up here and they are in marginal shape and often are in need of motor work at that price. Yamaha blasters are all right machines and you may find one in that price range. The problem with them is they need rebuilt often, are not built very well, and you will struggle to keep up with your buddies. May be a decent starter machine, but you will be wanting to upgrade before to long. Hope this helps.

Old 06-29-2002, 01:17 PM
Trailblazer

I agree that you will have to do your research to find one for $1500 but they are out there. I just bought a 96' Mojave with a new Cobra pipe for $1550. I know a lot of people think the Mojave is a dog, but they are very durable. The longest running production quad to date. Even though it is only a 250, it responds well to mods. Look at the specs; dual overhead cam, liquid cooling, 4 valve head. Sounds like my Z400 specs doesnt it. I had a 2001 Mojave with a WB slip on, jet kit and KN filter and it kept up with my stock 400EX till about 4th gear. I bought the 96' as a spare quad and something for my son to grow into.

Good luck.

Old 06-29-2002, 01:59 PM
Trailblazer

You'll find something its all about patience. I sold my friend my 89 Warrior for 500 bucks. It needed a carb rebuild, new brakes, new throttle, and still needs two new rear rims. I gave him two sets of tires and rims but both sets of rear rims are shot. So just keep looking you'll find something.

Old 06-29-2002, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

i doubt you will find a very nice 300 ex or 250r for that price range the best thing to get would be a blaster they are pretty quick but you need to get rid of that damn oil injection they always fail and blow the motor but a block off kit is only like 25 or 30 dollars and it is a 2 stroke very easy to get awsome power out of them

a mojave would also be a good decision i picked mine up all stock even the stock tires for only 1850 just keep lookin youll find somthin

Old 07-01-2002, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

I had a Mojave, 89 I think, with pretty low miles but cracked plastic. It had rust and bumps. I got it in the classifieds for $1600 with front and rear racks and a set of ramps for loading, and a manual. And tire chains, and... It was pretty sporty, I found replacement stock plastic for $100 from a shop that built racing Mojaves. The Mojave has a 5 speed/manual clutch. The engine is only a 250 4 stroke, but it has 4 valves, 2 cams (I think), and is liquid cooled, so it is durable and stronger than you'd think. Kick start only, but that was easy and saved weight. The machine was small but sporty, could jump mildly and wheelie in the 1st 2 gears. It still had the original tires when I got it in '98, so it had low miles. I didn't even know what it was, but when I rode it, I bought it. Have you considered going in debt to get a new one, like a 250 or 300 ex, or Suzuki Ozark? Right now there are great deals on financing with very low payments for several months, you would get a chance to save more for when the payments go up. With new you get a warranty, and don't have to spend much on it unless you want mods or crash. Good luck, the quad is more fun than a jeep, and I bet you would get a POS jeep in that price. range.

Old 07-01-2002, 01:55 AM
Pro Rider

Hey,

no, i don't want to go in debt at 18 years old. it's just a toy for me. there will be far more important things in life that i can go in debt for one day. lol

an old Jeep CJ is a different kind of fun. i love Jeeps, it's in my blood. it's a slower more technical form of offroading, compared to a 4wheeler. i've looked at several cheap CJ's, all under $1000. passing up two $500 52' ****** M38A1's right now. those are very cool military jeeps. D44 rear axle, 5.38 gears, and waterproofed everything. and with the factory snorkel equipment, the driver will drown before the engine will. a small lift with some 33" Swampers, and that thing would be a blast. but the neighbors would cry bloody-murder if i put a parts jeep in the yard. plus all my friends have 4wheelers, and not jeeps. so i'd have nobody to pull me out when i buried the CJ. lol

back to 4wheelers though, got distracted talking about Jeeps.

found an ad for an 87' 250x, $1000, says it's in good shape. actually sounds like a good price. it's in NJ though, i'm in NC. i'm going to see my best friend in NJ in July though, so if it's still for sale then, i might check it out.

question: if i got the 250x, what mods and how much $$$ would it take for the 250x to beat a Scrambler 500 in a drag race? it's more of a pride thing i guess. being fast isn't the most important thing, but i hate knowing how proud my Scrambler 500 friends would be that they have a much faster quad than me. it almost makes me want to wait and try to find an old used Banshee. lol

later,
bigmac

Quick Reply: Best used quad for around $1500?