Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

JUST SAW THE PREDATOR!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 11:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Campy- On your first post- fair enough. I was just trying to point out that maybe this Polaris can compete in its class more so than the Scramblers have.
Your last post however, I disagree with. Last time i checked the 400EX was pretty groundbreaking. It totally redesigned the hi-performance class and cleared the way all of the big bore sports you see today. Why did the Raptor,DS,and C-Dales come out? To compete with the 400EX.

Old 07-08-2002, 03:09 AM
Pro Rider

Knowsalot,
I'm not calling you on this because I realize your info is top notch, but does the XR really make that at the back tire. I've seen something to suggest they make that with the factory power up kit, but not stock. I'm just curious, I don't want to see your dyno sheets or have you dyno it in front of me (We're not in the Raptor, er a Yamaha, forum)

On a side note, do you know anything about the ATC200R's that selvey made from the ATC250R? I can see part of what was done, which looks like they took a stock cylinder and cut it on the bottom and top (???) as well as de-stroking the crank. I don't want to take it apart to find out. I just bought one and it runs pretty damn strong for a 200. I'm looking into finding out just what I'll have to do when it comes time to do the top end. I think they used a team blue piston in the team red motor based on the location of the wrist pin. Any info you have on this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-08-2002, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

answer, that's certainly what I hope Polaris plans to do here. The Scrambler is a slug among most hi-perf ATVs, and most people certainly would not classify it as such.

As for the 400EX... they stuck a SOHC air-cooled engine into a frame that had been around since the 80's, bolted some new plastic to it, and called it good. The only reason it was groundbreaking at the time was because its competition was the Banshee, which had been around since the 80's, and several other smaller displacement sport quads. Looking back, I'd say it was just a good business move, not a particularly ballsy one (but then, hindsight is 20/20). Even in other areas, Honda's moves have been pretty safe, perhaps even behind the times. The big bore ATV market was just really starting to get going, with the announcement of the Prairie, and rumors of the new Grizzly, plus the inclusion of independant rear-ends in more and more ATVs, and what does Honda announce? A 500cc, straight-axle ATV with a "new style" of transmission. Now that 4 of the major companies are starting their second year production runs for their big-bores, Honda decides to FINALLY introduce it's new flagship, and it's STILL using drum brakes and an unlockable front differential.

My personal opinion is that Honda just simply doesn't have the ***** to release something of that nature. I would LOVE for them to prove me wrong, because I'm just waiting for a sport quad with IRS, if nothing else than for the variety in the sport, but I just feel like I'll be waiting quite a while for Honda to make this move...

Old 07-08-2002, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

Putting IRS on a sport quad would take the "sport" out of it through a alot of extra weight. It would almost have to have shaft drive(awesome for maintenance, very bad for wieght and power loss) to work with a IRS rear end. You would also have to have an extra shock and stabalizer bar to make it handle at speed.

I agree it would be neat to see a powerful (35+ hp stock), lightwieght (under 450 lbs) sport 4x4 (with or without IRS if it means going over wieght). If you want one of these you could make it out of a wolverine, but it would be a lot cheaper and easier to buy it.

Old 07-08-2002, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

Johnny,
This could be an interesting possibility. They should pitch the idea to Canondale. The only company that would likely produce something like this would be a company with a factory race team. Something that cannot be said for any of the big 4 japanese mfgs. If you all will take notice of this one fact that makes all the ranting on here about sport quads seem foolish. The last year of factory race quad teams was the pinnacle of sport quad performance and the machine that riegned then, still does now (we'll see if C'dale can get some top notch riders to win a championship)!

Old 07-09-2002, 01:27 AM
The Facility

kciH,

No offense taken.

Source: DirtBike Magazine / September 2000

Stock Horsepower Dyno and Radar Tested Top Speed Results:

Honda XR650R....49.6HP....99mph
Yamaha YZ426F...46.5HP....88mph
KTM 520SX.......54.8HP....75mph
Honda XR400R....30.1HP....81mph
Honda CR500R....55.0HP....89mph
Kawasaki KX500..54.0HP....86mph
Suzuki DRZ400...38.4HP....80mph

Many more dirtbikes were included in this shootout, but these are the most popular. I don't recall seeing a dyno chart on the "power package" offered by honda for the XR650R, but did see numbers close to 60HP in another mag. Just don't feel like searching for that one....LOL

I have never seen the 200 conversions that you are talking about, so I have no clue as to what was used to convert it to a 200. I would like to see one of these myself. In the dirtbike world, 200 engines are made from "bored and stroked" 125s and not "de-bored and de-stroked" 250s.

You've got a rare one for sure.

Old 07-09-2002, 02:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

You know as well as i do what advertising dollars can do.The day any 650r can take my 426 is the day i drive it off a cliff.this is as embarrising as guy's comparing the 400ex to the ds 650.I would think you would be above magazine articals knowsalot i have a lot of respect for you and your knowledge but admitt it this is unrealistic.the 650r may have endurance on the yz426f but in no way competes any other way .not speed not power not jumping not not handling not anthing other than endurance and thats what honda is good at!but unfortunatley thats what wins races!!!LMAO!!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 07-15-2002, 03:35 AM
Trailblazer

predator may just kill everything! not!

Old 07-15-2002, 03:39 AM
Trailblazer

The predator may kill every thing! The Predator is a tool to take out every polaris lover out there, once their gone Honda will bring the 650ex in and TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!