Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Can you tweak a 300ex to beat a stock 400ex?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 03:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I just purchased a 2002 300ex. My friend used to have a really poor quad, and had to go show me up, and he purchased a used 1999 400ex ($500 cheaper than mine), and he constantly brags about how much a better quad he has. Since mine is new, and his is a bit older, at top speed their pretty equal, but he mega out accelerates me and has a few more mph.

Can I modify my 300EX so it will outdo his 400ex? Perhaps a new pipe, among other things? I saw a small article in dirtwheels that it could be done, but I have no idea where to start. If anyone could direct me in the right direction, with brands and the best places to check into ie. websites. It would be a great help.

I'd appreciate any help you can give.
Thanks a million!

Old 06-21-2002, 03:25 AM
Pro Rider

hmm, it would take more than a pipe.
I think were talkin about a 330 kit/cam ect to be able to
pull a lot higher gearing. visit www.powroll.com, or
4 stroke tech, they will set you up.

It CAN be done, but... your dealing with a bigger, more
powerfull quad. It just takes some money, thats all.

Old 06-21-2002, 03:25 AM
Trailblazer

I ride with acouple 400's and a 300,the guy on the 300 sent his motor to four stoke tech and had in turned into a 330.Cam,higher compressin piston oil cooler the works and I'm sorry to tell you at the sand drags this spring he couldn't beat the 400's.He was always close but never could take them in the 100 yard dash.

Old 06-21-2002, 08:00 AM
Pro Rider

If he runs his mouth, show him up somewhere where all-out power isn't key, like a tight woods trail. And save you $$$$ for better things [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-21-2002, 11:43 AM
Range Rover

i had a 300 ex before my raptor.a complete pipe,rejetting and filter and going up one tooth on the counter sprocket will wake your quad up but you will still loose to a 400ex.the pipe i had on mine was a fmf megamax for about $220 for complete system. take some advice there is always going to be faster quads no matter what you do unless you have very deep pockets don't worry about people being faster then you because thats all part of it. have fun on what you ride.

Old 06-21-2002, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

Do what binfordw said, beat him in the tight trails, and save you money for better things. I have beat a lot of 400EX's around here, and I odn't have much, but thats because I am a better rider than most of them.

Old 06-21-2002, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

If you build your quad like I did you'll be able to eat 400EX's for breakfast. Well a least piped and jetted ones anyway. Once they get into the big bore kits it's all over unless you bump your engine up to a 352 or a 390. Then you're back in buisness again [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] . Sad thing is I've got almost $8,000 into my quad if you include the first race enigine blowing up after 2 hours!!. I should have just waited and bought a used 400EX for around $3,500 and used the other $4,500 to put into mods. So far I have just in the engine alone...

FST 80mm piston with 11:1 compression (bumps 300EX up to 330 or a 250X up to 288), Milled head, Stiffer valve springs with titanium retianers, +1mm valves, Vesrah clutch and springs, Powroll supertrapp 3" exhaust with header, UNI air filter, Removed spark arrestor from air box, took choke baffel out of carb, 350X intake boot (HUGE DIFFERENCE right there), rejeted carb (thats a given), and a new cam chain. I left the stock cam in there because it's a pretty radical cam as is and an aftermarket cam would only make it harder to ride plus it's more wear and tear on the valve seats,Oh also the FST oil cooler.

If you want to outhandle him this is what I did. Works shocks all the way around, Durablue Eliminator 2+2 rear axle, 250R A-Arms up front (400EX ones will work also but the '86 250R A-Arms will not fit), RAD Dual row bearing carrier, and 400EX tires. I replaced every bearing and every seal on my quad this winter. I also put new brakes on it all the way around and painted the frame black and the A-Arms red as well as the swingarm.

Lastly I have maier black race cut plastic, Moose handlebars, Moose grips, All new cables, Kill teather, DG nerfs, NAC's number plates, N-Style numbers and a bunch of other little things. Damn I gotta get new pics posted [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. Sorry for talkin so long guess I get carried away.

Some say get a 400EX and mod it some say get a 300EX and mod it. I personaly would do both. Except I did the 250X. It's light, 4 stroke, kick start, and handles and jumps like a dream. Funny thing is the last race I did I was against ll 250R's and 400EX's. Everybody looked at me like I wasn't going to be any competition. That was untill I pulled 3rd in the holeshot. I crashed durring the race but that's another story [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. If you wana make your quad beat the 400EX be prepared to have deep pockets. I should know.

Old 06-22-2002, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

mods have already been stated , but ive heard that shaving the front fenders will give you at least 2 mph via less wind resistance

Old 06-22-2002, 02:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Need4Speed,

you hit it right on the money, I do have very deep pockets, and I shall start a few mod projects on real soon here. I also found other websites with kits, and aftermarket parts. Thanks for all your help. Why not just go buy a 400ex? because this will be way more fun. iight, laterz.

and thanks everyonelse for all your input, big help.

Old 06-22-2002, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

<< If he runs his mouth, show him up somewhere where all-out power isn't key, like a tight woods trail. >>

I've owned both quads, still have the 300EX. The only (yes, I said ONLY) time or place a 300EX is faster than a 400 is in reverse.

Most people with &quot;very deep pockets&quot; also have enough sense to start with a reasonably competive machine (i.e. 400EX, Z400, Banshee, etc) and build up from there, rather than starting with an a chicks bike. Need4speed's story of the 8k down the toilet is a classic example of why you don't try to make a slik purse out of a sows ear.

This isn't a slam on 300EX's, or their owners, but trying to build a 400EX beater out of a 300EX is like trying to build a mud bogger out of a DS650.

Quick Reply: Can you tweak a 300ex to beat a stock 400ex?