Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » Brand Discussions Area » Honda
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to ATVConnection Forums!
Welcome to ATVConnection.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the ATVConnection Forums community today!

Reply Share this with your friends
Old 04-03-2002, 08:39 AM
Trailblazer
Garage is empty, add now

Does anyone know a good way to paint a plastic gas tank? Any particular type of paint, prep work, or primer to be used? Thanks for any help.
Old 04-03-2002, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

I've heard Imron (spelling) is great on plastic but I wouldn't use it on fenders. You might be able to get away with painting the tank. I would just buy a new tank or consider a tank cover ($20). What kind of machine is this for?
Old 04-03-2002, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

I'm in the same situation, my '86 R's tank is faded and I was thinking about painting it but you mentioned tank cover. Who sells a plastic tank cover, I know quad-tech and others sell the expensive carbon fiber tank covers but I'm looking for a red plastic tank cover. I think if you try and paint the gas tank, you probably won't like the results since the tank will expand and contract some depending on fuel levels, temperature, humidity, etc. I just need something that will cover the top portion down to where the plastic starts from the front fenders.
Old 04-03-2002, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Don't paint the plastics on your quad, it will turn out like crap. I tried this a couple years ago on the bottom of my fenders of my LT230 too see what it looked like. When I got on the quad, I put some weight on the rear fender, and I saw a bunch of flakes on my tires so I decided not to paint the rest of them. I heard someone talk about a "flex additive" and asked my cousin about it who is an auto painter and he said it doesn't work very well. as for your gas tank briansgi, I think there is a company called Clarke Mfg. that sells replacement tanks for all of the popular quads. They're in DirtWheels somewhere.
Old 04-03-2002, 04:23 PM
Range Rover
Garage is empty, add now

maier makes a tank cover any color you want, around 20-25 dollars
Old 04-03-2002, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Are they decent quality, how about color match? Does the red tank cover match the honda red?
Old 04-03-2002, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

I tried painting the tank on my old yz 80. Don't do it! Eventually the gas evaporates through the plastic and makes huge bubbles in the paint. It looked really bad after that.
Old 04-03-2002, 05:49 PM
Range Rover
Garage is empty, add now

I dont know about other colors , but I have a black tank cover and that looks good.
Old 04-03-2002, 05:49 PM
Reply Share this with your friends

Tags
atv, bubbles, color, fenders, gas, imron, maier, matching, paint, painting, plastic, plastics, quad, quads, tank