Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

300ex...??needs a rear bearing change but how??...300ex..quick please....

Old 01-14-2002, 01:31 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 96' 300ex and i belive it's time to tighten or replace my bearings all together on my rear axel....what do i need to do to get this out of there so i can replace all this tomarrow..i have the bearings i just need to know how to get inside there to change em' over...i also need information on how to lube up the front bushings..or atleast thats what i think it is making that sqeeking noise when i hit a bump....what do i need to lube it with and how do i get in there to lube it...i'm good with tools i just need to have some idea of what i'm doing before i start......thanx.

Old 01-14-2002, 10:11 AM
Range Rover

I had loud squeaking coming from my front bushings also, and I was able to remove the bushing bolts one at a time and grease the bolt and bushing. By removing them one at a time, you can get them back in prettly easily. My 300ex rear axle bearings just went out and destroyed my bearing carrier, rear disk hub, and a few other parts, so I wouldn't put off replacing them (I thought just one more ride would be OK). There are a lot of parts in the rear axle/carrier/bearing assembly, and the way it's put together is not obvious. I wouldn't even try to change the bearings without a manual of some kind (Haynes, or Chilton's or whatever). The axle lock nuts on the right side of the brake hub are left hand threaded, and you need a LARGE wrench (45mm or 1-3/4", and a 56 mm)to get them loose. It took me two weeks to even find a place I could buy a wrench that large (I tried a torch, and a pipe wrench first), and then I had to cut the axle lock nut off with a hacksaw anyway. www.servicehonda.com sells the larger wrench/tool for around $60 . By the way, you can see exploded diagrams in the parts sections of the web site at www.servicehonda.com also, they help a lot.

Good luck,
Lorrin

Old 01-14-2002, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do some research in the files, this has been talked about and answered many times in the past.
the major tools that you will need just to get the axle out is a 1 1/8 or 1 1/16 socket to get the hub nut off. A big pipe wrench or a hammer and chisel(this for someone with no big tools) for the axle nut. And the hardest part is a large pair of snap ring pliers for the brake backing plate. After that you can get the bearing carrier out. The trick that I learned about 2 years ago was to heat the carrier up and then the old bearing will come out very easy.
When you put the new bearing in, pop out the seals and fill them with water proof grease.
If you have never done trhis find help the first time. Best of luck.

Old 01-14-2002, 09:15 PM
Trailblazer

kool thanx for the tips.i got the rear axel out changed and back in today.i just said..do it.and remembered what wenton/in next..and went at it...alls tight..bt i'm going to keep my eye on it for the next couple of rides...but a few more questions....
...the front bushings....ok take out the bolts?.....what bolts haha...hey i did the axel without a manuel how hard can this be.....but where are the bushings..where the shocks meet the a-arms...or where the a-arms meet the frame....or both...where else should i look....elaborate on this for me..i have been to servicehonda.com..but i saw nothing that said.."bushing" anywhere....thanx again later.....

Old 01-14-2002, 10:53 PM
Trailblazer

cheeksaflappin,
there are bushings on both (on both ends of the shocks and where the a arms meat the frame) and if u run roads alot ur gonna go through alot of bearings i have to replace mine every 6 months cause i ride roads every day.

Old 01-15-2002, 12:06 AM
Trailblazer

bett.....thats the answer i was looking for...and yeah i do ride roads everytime i ride if i ride around my house..i wonder why that is that you have to change them more often when riding on the road??..thanx man.....later

Old 01-15-2002, 12:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

go to the atv connection home page click on product reviews or sport zone. You will find an article on installing a durablue axle on a 400ex. It will be the same process for your 300ex except loosen the carrier bolts like you would for a chain adjustment after the axle is out. When they are eal loose you'll be able to wiggle and slide the carrier out. The bearings may ned to be pressed in and out. Any questions let me know

Old 01-15-2002, 10:11 PM
Trailblazer

ahight well thanx to you guys and the people from WWW.EXRIDERS.COM i've managed all this with ease...here's where i stand..axel bearings....front bushings.shock's too....oil and filter changed...air breather cleaned.....chain good.....i even took my gas tank off and made sure that was all nice and clean on the inside......what else should i look into while i'm on this "spree" i'd like to do the valves but .i'm not messin around in there just yet...what else would you guys check///change....while you have a few days to get it done?.the pluggs fine...
thanx again