Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Restore My R or build the engine??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an 86 trx 250R i'm rebuilding. When i say rebuilding, i mean rebuilding. I bought the engine in a box, where as the transmission gears and washers were just kinda of scattered here and there. I've rebuild the whole entire bottom end and top end..now to only find i have the wrong piston(87 year..5mm longer stroke), and have to order a new one. I've had to replace a lot of parts, but have gone back with original honda. Hopefully, i'm praying it will crank when i try to kick it over for the first time.

I can't decide if i want to build my engine(there's already some portwork done, and the clyinder is .050 over)and go all out on the chasis and engine, to really have a strong running banshee killer. Or if i want to keep it stock, and order OEM Plastic and completely restore it? The swingarm will eventually have to be replace because it was broke into, and welded back together with plates on the outside. Also the axle is badly rusted and will have to be replaced sometime. So should i make my banshee killer, or completely restore it and have a mint 86?

Old 07-17-2001, 03:07 AM
Pro Rider

I'll try to help a little here,
Do you have an 86 cylinder and an 87 piston? Do you know what rod you have? An 86 rod is shorter, and the wrist pin sits lower in the piston. If you have the longer rod (87 on)then the 87 piston should work.
Unless the engine case has been machined and an aftermarket crank installed, the stroke on all stock R's is the same. The length of the rod/piston doesn't affect your stroke. It can/will affect your compression/compression ratio.
Can't tell you where to go with this ride; I think that's something you'll have to figure out what you want.

Old 07-17-2001, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

I'm pretty sure everything in the engine is 86 except for the piston which is 87. I just found an 86 piston today, and i'm going to pick it up in a little while. Still the question remains....restore it, or build it strong?

Old 07-17-2001, 12:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

my 2 cents [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] i look at it this way, are you going to get a stock swingarm that will break again,a stock axel that will bend again?? id say no, your going to get a lonestar or laeger swingarm, and a lonestar or RPM axel. (do yourself a favor here,durablue's are scrap) as far as plastic,,after getting the other stuff, stock seems expensive, altho it does look the best. now comes the motor,a pipe(LRD team B), carb(LECTRON),and porting(anyone BUT CT) is all your gonna need to be fast and reliable,,,hehe hope this helps [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-17-2001, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

Here's the way that I look at it, you can find built R's everywhere but how often do you ever see an all origional R? People will pay big bucks for those beceuase they are so rare. That and if you ever did sell it you'd have the easiest time. I for one would buy an R at almost any price if it was all origional. They are rare.

Old 07-17-2001, 06:04 PM
Trailblazer

do you plan on riding it or selling it? if you plan on riding it.... BUILD IT FAST!!!

Old 07-17-2001, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

I plan on riding it.....this is the first one i've rebuilt, and i want to keep it for a long time. I'm not sure what i want for my next project, which likely i'll ride for a little while, and then sell for the cash to start a new project.

Old 07-17-2001, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

i'd say go all out banshee KKKILLING machine ! sure stock ones are nice but what happens when you want more power ? then you have to modify it and there goes your original 250R so definatly totaoll deck it out , make a PHAT PIMPIN ride for yourself !

Old 07-18-2001, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

Ok, here are the plans for my R....

Red Fullbore Plastic(standard cut)
Powdercoat frame either Honda Red or Yellow
Renthal Bars
Lonestar Swingarm(will determine length once motor is fully built)
Some Brand A-Arms(+2,0 or +2,+1 haven't decided, which would be better?)
Chrome Arm's and Swingarm once purchased.
Some aftermarket shocks(don't know which brand or type yet, any help?)
ESR TRX5 Pipe and silencer(Chrome)
Boyeson Rad Valve
Portwork
Wiseco Piston
Pro Design Cool Head or ESR Cool Head(which is better?)
Eventually when i run out of overbores on my cylinder...ESR 310 Kit, or other brand??
DG Alloy Series Nefs
DG or AC Front Bumper Chrome
Holeshots, Razrs or Spider Tracs(which one's?)
Douglas 190's

Thats the list...it will take me a few months to a year to complete due to the cash flow coming in. I Just have rebuilt my entire motor that i pieced together and are praying it cranks. I'll mainly trail ride with friends, but love to go fast. I'm goin to enter in a local cross country race sometime so, any help would be appreciated as to which parts i should purchase...and if the motor and chassis combo i have selected will work together good?

Old 07-18-2001, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

I forgot to mention i want to add...

Aftermarket Carb
K and N Filter with outerwear

Quick Reply: Restore My R or build the engine??????