Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex: Gearing with BIGGER tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 400 bogs in 2nd also, and come to think of it that was another reason I went to a 14. Climbing steep stuff in 2nd, I really have to keep up the revs because I am afraid of stalling it (about the worst place I can think of to stall a bike!!). Actually, I think it got worse when I added the K&N filter. I have dinked with the jetting, the dealer has dinked with the jetting, and it just won't go away. Maybe and Eidelbrock carb would do the trick.

Anyway, I ride a LONG REALLY STEEP hill. There is an overhang and you can't make the top, so you have to do a rainbow and head it back down the hill. To do the rainbow I punch the throtle and spin the back end out (it's tight without much room to maneuver). Well, one time I punched it and you can guess what happened, the bike did a tremendous wheelie. So here I am sideways on a huge hill, my front end in the air (no steering!!), and no place to run it out. I saved it by locking up the rear brakes and turning the bars full over. When the front landed, I skidded the rear wheels enough to turn it (sort of) down hill. So, I went home and put the 15 back on!!

Old 06-13-2001, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

I'm a very detail orienteed person, that may come across as long winded. Typically when dealing with customers or responding to BBS posts asking for help, I usually try to provide as detailed of information as I can. Keyboard tuning and diagnostics is difficult to do, and therefore I usually try to explain everything to its extent. The choices, what influences those choices, and ultimately where those choices are going to get to you.

Here's a break-down of my reply and what train of thought led me to my response.

First paragraph: state an easy fact about the teeth corelation in impact on gearing.

Second paragraph:
Present some of the issues that can affect selection of rear sprocket size. Ground and chassis clearance are very valid influences, that will dictate selection of a sprocket. Chassis intereference you are somewhat limited in working around. Ground clearance becomes a choice of riding type and acceptable risk in your own mind.

Third paragraph:
Yes, perhaps I did state the obvious, but more importantly, to me at least, was some valid and supporting information to back up my decision to say, yep the 13 is the one.

Fourth paragraph:
Could have most likely been included into the 3rd, but I just wanted to summarize and declarative statement to such.

The final paragraph was simply interjected to explain the affects of gear selection. RGB's post included (I don't believe this...) therefore I saw that as an opportunity to help inform and transfer some of my knowledge to help him out.

Perhaps, yes, I do come across a bit long winded, that's my personality, how I choose to be viewed- maybe a bit too meticulous, but I always try to be accurate and well-planned out before offering a reply. Some people find this format a bit cumbersome, others prefer it; the choice ultimately is yours whether or not you choose to continue reading it.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-13-2001, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

...oh my god

Old 06-13-2001, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

Ed Zachary...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2001, 08:51 AM
Trailblazer