Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Maintenance - What NOT to do.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2001, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Learn from my mistakes...

Last night I was cleaning up my shock linkage on my 400EX. I ran the linkage through the parts washer. Then to finish cleaning up the bearings (there are 4 of them) I used the air nozzle from the compressor to blow the grease/dirt/goop remnants from the needle type bearings. I was happily blowing away, and it seemed to be working great when suddenly ALL of the bearings came loose and blew all over my driveway. There are about 20 or so of them little buggers. I picked up a few and decided I wasn't going to find them all. So, I went back to cleaning the rest. OK here comes the stupid(er) part. I did it again! I figured oh- that bearing must have been worn or no good since it flew apart like that. Well the next one did it too! I picked most of those up, cleaned them up and was able to fill one bearing. A new bearing is about $14 from the dealer, it should be here next tuesday.

Oh yeah, BTW I am supposed to RACE tomorrow...

Tip #2:

I tried for the first time last night the hot oil bath chain cleaning method. It seemed to work pretty good EXCEPT, like an IDIOT, I did it in the house, in the kitchen. (My wife was out of sight, mowing the lawn at the time) Hot DexronIII stinks very much bad, and the stench doesn't go away for a while. So, now I have to get a hot plate or something and boil my chains outside next time.

I am not insinuating anybody here is as dumb as me, but I would like the community to know of my trials.

Old 05-10-2001, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

Funny, I saw the title of your post and thought you were looking for advice. My comment was to be careful when using a pressure washer by never holding the nozzle too close (less an a foot or so) from what you are trying to clean. That is unless you want to force water into places it would not go otherwise.

Old 05-11-2001, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

One of my friends was using a pressure washer to clean some wood doors, but it wasn't working too well - so he figured he could do better if he put his finger on the end to concentrate the spray. He blew a flap of skin clean off the end of his finger!

Old 05-11-2001, 12:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey! coming up this weakend was hopeing to stop by and con you into riding :P guess youll have to take the ole X out of hideing or the balster no matter..

Old 05-11-2001, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

Hey,
I forced it together with the missing bearings and I am GOING to race it tonight. I figure two MX motos shouldn't hurt it... (I HOPE) My 350X is running, I could ride that this weekend. Toni might let me ride her (your old) Blaster, or 250EX. I am hoping to get my TRX250R rolling soon so I can use it to thrash the mines. I don't want to use the 400EX in the mines and mud anymore, I am going to save it for racing.

Gimme a call.

Old 05-11-2001, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you explain tip number 2. i was thinking about doing this but im not sure on the temperatures.

Old 05-13-2001, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do not soak or boil a o-ring chain. It will take the grease out between the o-rings on the chain. I hope that you were doing this with just a regular chain.

Old 05-14-2001, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

It was my stock O-ring chain. Have you tried it yet? Did it wreck the chain? I thought I would try it and see if it destroyed the chain. Thanks for the warning.

Well,

I raced friday night with half a bearing. It didn't fall apart or make any wierd noises. The new part is supposed to be here tomorrow. I didn't get off work early enough friday to make practice. I did pretty well though for my first race of the season. I got a second place trophy. I lost to a trick Banshee. I beat another banshee, a 400EX, a few 250R's, and a DS650.

It was fun, I am looking forward to this friday!

Old 05-14-2001, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

I put the chain in a metal container, covered it with Auto Tranny fluid (Dexron) and started heating it with low heat, then started turning it up to about medium/high until I could here the water boiling/bubling.

I will be using this chain for a while, so this is just an experiment. I highly recommend doing it outside though. It really stinks, and probably puts off carcinogens.

Old 05-15-2001, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i read about that kind of tip in the atv magazine section about 6 months ago. it said use gear lube and heat it up i cant remember how hot i think 250 or so. flashpoint is 400 and something. then let it cool naturally and it conditions chain and orings.