Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Initial Valve Adjustment Reality Check

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 09:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Initial Valve Adjustment Reality Check

I've done valve check/adjustments on a several ATV/Motorcycles in my life....shim under-bucket as well as the adjustable type. I've only done the new engine initial service valve-clearance check a couple of times and neither instance needed adjustment at that time.
It's officially time to check the clearance on my "new" 2014 Rincon and I expect to find it not needing any adjustment.
Has anyone ever done the initial check and found it needed it? I'm just wondering what the point is so early in an engines life.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:05 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

It is such a hassle removing the plastics etc, that I only check clearances if the top end is noisy, or suspect the clearance has gone, leading to low compression. Otherwise, the valves get set during a "top end rebuild" and that's it.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

Same here, between me and my friends and family we own 5 Honda ATVs and none of them ever needed adjustment not even after 5 years, the valves are dead on or even still .001 tight from factory.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Nondem
I've done valve check/adjustments on a several ATV/Motorcycles in my life....shim under-bucket as well as the adjustable type. I've only done the new engine initial service valve-clearance check a couple of times and neither instance needed adjustment at that time.
It's officially time to check the clearance on my "new" 2014 Rincon and I expect to find it not needing any adjustment.
Has anyone ever done the initial check and found it needed it? I'm just wondering what the point is so early in an engines life.
Hey Nondem.

Last year I got home after a hard ride on my Honda shadow 750 v twin and noticed a ticking from one cylinder. I was surprised as the bike was new with only a few miles (around 1600). I decided to check both cylinders and found 3 valves loose and one slightly tight. It was an easy fix as this bike is easy to work on. I know I was winding out the motor trying to showboat and keeping up to others on bikes with twice the power that caused it. It wasn't ticking before the ride sooo...if you don't run your engine hard, in my humble opinion, you're probably O.K. ?

Having said all of this, I'm in the process of checking the valve lash on my new Outlander 500 at 200 miles! I feel that I'm just a slave to BRP's lawyers in order to keep my supposed "5 YEAR B.E.S.T. warranty"...hmmm...now that I've read this over...hmmm...I'll have to give this a second thought.

Skidoo Grampa

Old 09-03-2014, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Nondem, how do you like your Rincon?

If my wife enjoys my new Outlander I may end up getting a second quad next year and the Rincon was high up on my list. The one concern is the lack of power steering. My riding is basically back roads, straight fire roads and wood logging roads. We have no hills here. What are your thoughts?

Skidoo Grampa

Old 09-11-2014, 03:22 PM
Trailblazer
Default I love it...

I too was concened about the lack of PS and almost got the Rubicon because it offered it.
I don't regret my choice now that I have almost 1k miles on the Rincon. Rides like a creampuff and handles really well. It doesn't have the power other 700 class machines do but it has plenty. I'd say it is ideal for its intended purpose - trail riding.
The only time I've missed PS was in REALLY technical rocky areas where I had to muscle the steering while creeping over/around big bolders. Not a big deal...
Also, I had a major crash w/mine when it was a month old, I was suprised at how well it absorbed the impact and minimized the cost of replacing was was bent.

Originally Posted by skidoogrampa
Nondem, how do you like your Rincon?

If my wife enjoys my new Outlander I may end up getting a second quad next year and the Rincon was high up on my list. The one concern is the lack of power steering. My riding is basically back roads, straight fire roads and wood logging roads. We have no hills here. What are your thoughts?

Skidoo Grampa

Old 09-11-2014, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Nondem.

It seems like Honda's going to have quite a few machines to choose from in 2015, hmmmm... decisions, decisions...

Gramps