Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What Honda ATC do I have? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 05:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Honda ATC do I have? Please help

I recently purchased a supposedly running Honda ATC from Craigslist. I was told it is a 200x. It has a kick start AND a pull start. The pull start is currently broke, and being new to the sport, I don't know how to start this ATC?? Or if I need to replace the pull start first, etc. It would really help me in my search for information to know which Honda ATC I have. I have included pics, hope they are helpful ones. Any insight into what I have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and God https://www.flickr.com//photos/12646...92212861/show/

Old 07-29-2014, 05:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by NewbieJonathan
I recently purchased a supposedly running Honda ATC from Craigslist. I was told it is a 200x. It has a kick start AND a pull start. The pull start is currently broke, and being new to the sport, I don't know how to start this ATC?? Or if I need to replace the pull start first, etc. It would really help me in my search for information to know which Honda ATC I have. I have included pics, hope they are helpful ones. Any insight into what I have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and God https://www.flickr.com//photos/12646...92212861/show/
looks like a 200x with a 185s or 200 engine to me............

Old 07-29-2014, 08:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Which Honda do I have?

Thank you so much. Any idea if I need to replace the pull start if there is already a kick start below it?

Old 07-29-2014, 08:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default What Honda ATC do I have?

Originally Posted by rusted wheeler
looks like a 200x with a 185s or 200 engine to me............
Any thoughts as to whether I need to replace the pull start if there is already a kick start below it? Or is that not a kick start after all?

Old 07-29-2014, 08:36 AM
Pro Rider

Any thoughts as to whether I need to replace the pull start if there is already a kick start below it? Or is that not a kick start after all?

There is no kick start on the pictures you show....the is only a pull start, which is missing, so you need to replace.

This is a 200X frame with a 200S motor replacement.

If this had the original 200X motor, the kick start would be on the right side of the crank case.

I think what you are referring to as being a kick start, is actually the gear shifter. When (if) you get this started, you will use your left foot to move that lever to select the gear. I believe it has 5 speeds: 1 down and four up

Old 07-29-2014, 11:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

That helps a great deal! Thank you so much.
Is it possible to switch out that pull start with one from a different year? An electric one? I ask because I'm striking out finding one for this part. model. Thks!

Old 07-29-2014, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

That helps a great deal! Thank you so much.
Is it possible to switch out that pull start with one from a different year? An electric one? I ask because I'm striking out finding one for this part. model. Thks!
From your pictures, it looks like you have removed the cover of the pull starter. If you have that piece, you can likely refurbish the springs inside, and just attach ANY rope starter to it. You can see how to do that on this video:

If you do NOT have that part, then you will need to find a starter assembly specific for your motor. You may want to run the serial numbers to confirm what motor you have in there and then start your search. ATC parts are not easy to find but shouldn't be impossible if you look hard enough.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you very much! With your info I was able to find the part on ebay, and it's already on it's way.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you very much! With your info I was able to find the part on ebay, and it's already on it's way.
i may still an extra recoil assy. for one of these.................