Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Getting back into riding: help me choose quad

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 07:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into riding: help me choose quad

Grew up riding a 250R/250X [87's].. I'm wanting to get back into riding. It would be trails/playing around only. I'm considering picking up a used 86-89 TRX250R or going with a 400EX/X. Considering I haven't ridden in 20+ years which is best for trails? The R sounds great, but 20 years is a long time and I know I wouldn't be riding at the same pace I did before. Thought about a 450R too, but again with the pace I'll be riding. I don't want to have to do a bunch of maintenance either.. I want sold & reliable.

Thanks!

Old 07-25-2014, 10:38 AM
Range Rover

I would go with the 400ex, its a great all around quad.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I absolutely LOVE my 250R. In relatively stock form I think they can make a pretty good trail machine. Until recently, mine had just a pipe/silencer and I was able to tool around with my kids on the 90's no problem. Throw in a nice trail port and go high comp they are a beast. Rebuilding a 2 stroke is so quick and easy compared to a 450/race motor it should be illegal! All chassis maintenance is going to be similar regardless of model these days.

I did just buy a 300EX for my oldest(updated 250x.) and it is pretty fun, I think I could live with a 400 if I had to.

Don't forget the Z400, basically a liquid cooled, better suspended version of the Honda. They make more power stock and are easier to get good power out of later if you wish.

I would highly recommend the 700 Raptor. It is a little tall vs the other models mentioned, but handles well, has the torque to go slow and the hp to run with just about anything. They ride like a Cadillac and are about as bulletproof as you are going to get.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm going to look at a used 400EX tomorrow [local farmer is selling]. It looks good, we'll see...

Old 07-26-2014, 07:16 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Depends on your trails. Any 2wd sport ATV with 3" of ground clearance would need to be towed most of the way on our trails up here.
If don't want to have to do a bunch of maintenance either , you sure want to lose the chain drive and get "forget it" shaft drive.
Don't think they make a shaft drive sport ATV though, but it would sure help on the ground clearance as well.

420 Rancher 2wd with the racks removed for a sporty look.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Originally Posted by TLC

420 Rancher 2wd with the racks removed for a sporty look.

Sporty look, not such a sporty feel though, lol.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

400ex sold before I got there. There are plenty for sale though. I like the raptor 700 and suzuki 400 as well.

Ground clearance is a bit low on these bikes, but I want a sport bike, not utility quad.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Originally Posted by MrMJS
400ex sold before I got there. There are plenty for sale though. I like the raptor 700 and suzuki 400 as well.

That happens. At least in my area, I see numerous examples of all these machines up for sale. It can really pay to be picky and patient.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MrMJS

Ground clearance is a bit low on these bikes, but I want a sport bike, not utility quad.
Ground clearance is over rated. Get at good 1/4 thick swingarm skid plate. With momentum and a good skid plate you can slide over most rocks.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jgar
Ground clearance is over rated. Get at good 1/4 thick swingarm skid plate. With momentum and a good skid plate you can slide over most rocks.
Jgar is one of the few sport riders that lived up to his statement. He was pretty amazing on his 400ex. Note I said, "was". He rides a ute now.

All joking aside, if you don't mind having to pick the rear end up and over obstacles or ruts you're fine with one. I personally got tired of it. But, with the proper rider they can go through some amazing spots.

This video is an example of what it takes to get a sport quad through a mudhole with ruts on the bottom. I had gone through with my utility pretty easily (filled my shoes up with muddy water though) with no mud bath. Jgar, well not quite as clean.

Quick Reply: Getting back into riding: help me choose quad