Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2015 Honda Rubicon Will Indeed Boast IRS

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 08:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I appreciate that you guys aren't getting into name calling and that kind of thing. Good balanced arguments on both sides. -Moderator.
I don't think I've ever done the name calling thing. My problem is I can see both sides. I understand why someone wants a fast revving, high horse motor, independent suspension over solid axle, cvt vs. manual trans, etc. What I don't understand is someone NOT getting that people like a choice, and have reasons for not wanting the other things. A high torque/power lower revving, more efficient motor is desirable for work applications for a lot of us. And Honda is the only manufacturer that has/had a couple bigger ATVs that are designed "for work" first. Every single other manufacturer has higher HP, higher revving, independent suspension. Why complain about the only one that was going after a different target audience? With every other manufacturer being "relatively" similar, I'd think a different choice for other applications is better.

Things like not having diff. lock, disc brakes like the old model, that is something I could see arguing about because common sense says better traction and better brakes are ...better. Carb. was debatable. But clean gas and being familiar with carbs, I never had issues with my old ATVs, more than 10 years of near daily use before I cleaned one of them.

I guess growing up in ranch/work country, my opinions are different than those that play. ATVs get used pretty much every day, that's what I would do, if I ever had a goofing off toy it wouldn't be something that is ridden several miles a day. I have tractors that get used daily, slow and powerful. Diesel pickups are the only kind people get because the gas ones don't have enough power/grunt for heavy trailers, etc. Nothing has ever been about "going fast". If these atvs at this size can break their wheels loose from the ground when pulling something, then they are big enough.

Anyway, on topic a bit more. My only issue is wondering about this new trans. I've read about the ESP push button shifters sometimes having issues, and I've read about the Rancher AT having some issues. I kind of wished they'd have stayed with the old one. I really like the better brakes finally. And IRS vs. solid is debatable. I'd use a sprayer but I don't really have major hills and things where I'd need extra stability. And a trailer wouldn't bother that much I'm sure. If not for wanting an automatic at times I'd just get a manual.

Tough call, considering the old model, new model, and lesser extent the 550 Grizz. (only because I know they are reliable, as I said, it would take LOTS of getting used to, and I would be giving up "gears", so that's less and less of an option, it just seems weird going up a hill that they have at about 20 miles an hour and having the engine sound like it's doing 50+ where I know my old atvs wouldn't be at half throttle, but I suppose if a person had a trailer on it it would have enough power to pull the hill the same). Spraying, checking fence, chasing in a cow or two, I just see putting it in a gear and being able to vary speed with the throttle but not having it "shift up" would be better for those applications.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ks11...if u work on a ranch, why not look at the Artic Cat diesel ATV or a Polaris SXS diesel Ranger...that way u have another veh. that uses the same fuel as ur other equipment...