Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2015 Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
You need gears on smaller, less powerful engines to get the most out of them and also to make sport atvs and smaller utility atvs lightweight.
Exactly! I had a Kawasaki Lakota 300. I could get that thing up to about 57 mph at the very top end with the 5 speed semi-automatic transmission. It would take a 500 cc with a CVT to get up near that speed or higher. I don't think it's so much the weight of the CVT vs. the manual or semi-automatic. To me it's more the weight of the machine and frame. If it's chain drive vs. a gear box in the rear then that's a good weight difference.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:17 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend has a 300 Lakota and I beat him on a drag race in acceration and top end on my das 97 500 Sportsman non H.O with my girlfriend on the back as passenger.

When a machine has 35% less hp it just to much for any tranny to make up for.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Was just saying the Lakato 300, even with it's small engine, could get up to 57 mph. I didn't say it was winning any drag races. It's true that, if you have the right gearbox, you can stretch the engine's abilities out a bit. Same is true of changing the clutching on a CVT. You can tailor make your machine to do what you need it to do most of the time. I do like having that all in one package though even if it loses a little bit on some features.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Was just saying the Lakato 300, even with it's small engine, could get up to 57 mph. I didn't say it was winning any drag races. It's true that, if you have the right gearbox, you can stretch the engine's abilities out a bit. Same is true of changing the clutching on a CVT. You can tailor make your machine to do what you need it to do most of the time. I do like having that all in one package though even if it loses a little bit on some features.
Lakota, Lakota....

Old 07-15-2014, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
My friend has a 300 Lakota and I beat him on a drag race in acceration and top end on my das 97 500 Sportsman non H.O with my girlfriend on the back as passenger.

When a machine has 35% less hp it just to much for any tranny to make up for.
Don't know about that. I'd bet a 25 hp raptor/warrior 350 would put the smack down on your sportsman. I bet a 20hp 300ex would give it a run for its money as well. Now it's certainly not JUST the transmission but the final drive, gearing, and weight all play a big roll. The grizz 700 puts out 28-29 hp to the rear wheel. The raptor with the same motor puts down 40 and has more restriction in the exhaust then the grizz. A chain driven manual trans atv has a huge head start.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:32 AM
The Facility

Seems just a year ago we all discussing how Honda combined the Rancher and Foreman into one machine,..just using different features.
Now here we go again...
So now,.. where as Honda was once the only manufacturer who actually sold over a dozen different models using as many as 6 chassis and engine platforms,...they are now just like everyone else,... one machine,..just different features and fancy gimmicks to justify every $1,000 extra you spend.
At least the Recon and Rincon are diverse. For now anyway.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:25 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

Hey Knowsalot good to see that your still here over a decade later, hey is Spectra still around? Last I herd his Rubicon had nearly 10,000 miles on it. Honda is the best builder in the world regarding attention to detail and reliability but they can only build a dream machine when the bean counters give them the go ahead. I promise if they made these two models they would sell 4x as many as any analyst would think.
!. Rubicon II with XR650 engine and modern suspension
2. CRF450L dual sport bike with modern flush led lighting for signals and stop.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by JRM
Hey Knowsalot good to see that your still here over a decade later, hey is Spectra still around? Last I herd his Rubicon had nearly 10,000 miles on it. Honda is the best builder in the world regarding attention to detail and reliability but they can only build a dream machine when the bean counters give them the go ahead. I promise if they made these two models they would sell 4x as many as any analyst would think.
!. Rubicon II with XR650 engine and modern suspension
2. CRF450L dual sport bike with modern flush led lighting for signals and stop.
Specta is still around. Just doesn't have the time to pop in as much as he used to. Got a chance to ride with him out on the Paiute Trail in Utah last August. We had a great time. At the time he had about 16,000 on his Rubicon. He rode with us on Tu, and Wed. of the 4 days we had to ride there. On Wed. we had been down into Fish Creek Canyon riding on narrow two tracks deep in a valley with rough trails. We headed north after lunch and went up to Fremont. We had just started heading south on the Max Reed Trail when his trusty steed throug a tie rod end. It's was God's grace that it happened a couple miles from where Kenny lived. If it had been down in the canyon we might have had to shoot it and put it out of its misery. We managed to duct tape and zip tie the tie rod end enough to get to his place. From there he hopped into one of the RZRs we had rented to get a ride back to Marysvale where his truck was. After he got that fixed the transmission went. Not sure if he's got it fixed or bought a new quad yet.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:42 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

that's awesome, hope he fixes it! My Rubicon still looks and drives like new, only has a couple thousand miles on it. It sits in the back of my Toyota that's stuffed in the back of my heated garage. Working 60 hour weeks sucks!

Old 07-26-2014, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Here's a better pic of Specta's ride after it threw a shoe.