Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Need help with Honda 35o Rancher Carb

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 07:07 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Honda 35o Rancher Carb

My Rancher had not ran for a while so I bought a new one on ebay(bad idea). I put it on and tried and tried to get it running, so I finally take it off and compare to my old one. Not even close. It didnt have the air diaphragm on the side. So I took the top off to look at the insdie of diaphragm and the needle valve was just laying in there with some kind of bracket not even hooked up. So I I cleaned my old one out and cleaned the just and ports out. I put the jets(main jet, slow jet) in like they were, they were all the way down. Now the thing runs but it will not run very good unless I pull the choke out and it runs like a top. I have been adjusting the fuel/air needle valve with no luck. Can anyone help me out give an answer as what I might need to adjust on it. I appreciate it very much.
TIA
Jack Bostick Jr

Old 07-07-2014, 10:50 AM
Trailblazer

check to see if the vent tubes are clean. small rubber hoses on either side of carb. they pass thru the loops att. to the top of the diaphram cover screws on the carb. blow into the one on the left side with air box cover/filter off and a stream of gas should fly out of the carb. into the air box. i just did this to a rancher this week end and it worked......and it had sat for 3 yrs......

Old 07-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Trailblazer

OK. I just got the message so I will it a try after while. Are you saying the actual tubes coming off of the carb? I will give it a try and I am going to cross my toes.
Thanks.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

First make sure your pilot and main jet are clear, hold them up to a light and look through them. For adjusting the carb you want to do it when it's warm. If you turn the idle screw up to where it idles fast, then turn the mixture screw till the rpm's peak. Then turn the idle back down. And you'll want to do that with the choke off.
You'll also want to check the breather hoses for muddobber nest and the like.

Another thing could be an air leak.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Trailblazer

yes the small rubber tube runs up the left side and goes thru a metal loop that is held in place by the front left screw on the top plate of the carb. just pull up on the tube and it should come out of the loop. other than the carb. at the other end the tube not be connected to any thing else. it will slide out of the loop and just blow in and see what comes out of the carb. and by your post i does sound like you have cleaned the jets (both ) correct....

Old 07-13-2014, 07:48 PM
Trailblazer

Well I found some of the problem. I bought a replacement carb off of ebay a year and hadn't had time to check it out. When I finally took it apart the other day, they did not even had the main needle in the diaphragm, it was just laying in there with some bracket. I had Hot after seeing that. So I cleaned my old carb up and cleaned all the jets & put it back to together and it ran. Not without sputtering at full throttle. I adjusted the air/fuel needle but nothing worked. So yesterday I went and bought a new spark plug and it runs better but still not at top end, u can tell its holding back. I have the air/fuel needle out 1/4 at a time to 2 1/4 turns and still not getting it. I live in Ohio so no altitude adjustments to make. Any ideas on this? The Main & Slow jet are all the way closed. Thanks.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What do you main and slow jets are all the way closed??? the jets itself got to be able to see light thru them

Old 07-15-2014, 11:24 AM
Trailblazer

I mean they are screwed in all the way. Not clogged. I just know they are screwed all the way in. Thanks

Old 07-16-2014, 09:21 AM
Trailblazer

Any ideas what I need to adjust now? Should I open up the main jet or slow some? Clueless. Just trying to get her to run right. Thanks People.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

How new is the fuel? Is it old fuel? Have you cleaned the petcock?

Are you trying to run it with the airbox/filter on or off? Sounds weird but my Recon would not pull the fuel properly without having the air restriction from the air filter.

Quick Reply: Need help with Honda 35o Rancher Carb