Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Foreman TRX500FPM Gear Position Reading Wrong???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foreman TRX500FPM Gear Position Reading Wrong???

I have a 2008 TRX500FPM that is having some transmission issues. I bought the quad and it shifted fine, but the low gear was stripped, so I took it to the shop. They replaced the broken parts, cleaned the bottom end, and sealed it all back up.

When I reassembled the atv I noticed the transmission was reading backwards. It was at neutral at the very bottom like it should be, but the light doesnt come on. In fact it just shows "- -". It only shows neutral on the cluster if i shift into 5th gear with the foot shift, but in reality I am in gear. And as soon as I move the quad in this position (like roll it) the green light goes off and it acts like it is in gear, but still shows "- -"

Is there a sensor that could be causing this?? Im pretty confused on this. It feels like the transmission is good and put in correctly, but something is causing it to read incorrectly, any experience with this or suggestions??

Any help would be great, thanks.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

There is a rotary switch in the alternator case that has an offset pin through it. This engages in the end of the selector drum, I suspect they have fitted it with the offset the wrong way round, Iv'e done it myself. The alternator case will probably have to come off and possibly the case behind it that holds the gear pedal shaft, but how much you have to take off depends on the model.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
There is a rotary switch in the alternator case that has an offset pin through it. This engages in the end of the selector drum, I suspect they have fitted it with the offset the wrong way round, Iv'e done it myself. The alternator case will probably have to come off and possibly the case behind it that holds the gear pedal shaft, but how much you have to take off depends on the model.
Ok thanks I will check this out tomorrow

Old 07-11-2014, 11:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am going to take merryman suggestion tomorrow and check that out, I called the shop and they said they didn't touch that case, but I can see the new gasket sealer around the alternator case.. Hmm....

I have been on vacation but am now home, anyone have any else insight?

Old 07-12-2014, 02:55 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

You can't split the centre cases without removing the one that the gear pedal shaft goes through, but on some models you can leave the alternator case bolted to it. Either way you need to get at the rotary switch to move it's shaft through 180 degrees.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
You can't split the centre cases without removing the one that the gear pedal shaft goes through, but on some models you can leave the alternator case bolted to it. Either way you need to get at the rotary switch to move it's shaft through 180 degrees.
Exactly what is was, switched the pin around and it's reading correctly now, thanks a lot!!