Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What is the best al around atv?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 10:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best al around atv?

Hi I am looking for a 400cc and up 4x4, for under 4000. It would be used for some work like pulling things and trail riding. And the lest one I would have to poor money in to. So what is your opinion? Thanks

Old 04-24-2014, 04:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I have not worked on modern Yams or Kawasakis but the best for reliability that I have come across is the 400 King Quad auto, preferably the early one with carburettor. They use wheel bearings like Hondas and the rear brake pivot sticks, again like Hondas but the engines and chassis are reliable. They need prop shaft UJs every three years or so. The Manual version has a weak clutch. Try an auto though as the low gearing is not to everyones taste. The Honda 420FM would have been a good bike if the rear axle shaft did not keep coming loose. If you are prepared to check that the spacer tube is tight and that the rear hubs are not loose on the splines, about once a month, there are no other issues.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:31 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I guess your talking used at $4000. Any 400 4x4 will pull things and trail ride.

Just look for a brand name in the best condition. Its nice if one has some options over another like IRS, Rear disk brakes ,Low Range and diff lock if you come across it.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:45 AM
Trailblazer

old hondas never die

i have an '89 honda trx 300 2x4 that is rock solid, has a granny gear for towing

any older (90's) honda should be bullet proof they made a 400 (450?) 4x4 utility that would kick ***

Old 04-24-2014, 12:36 PM
Range Rover

Alright thanks. I was thinking about either a Yamaha or suzuki or maybe a kawasaki. I like honda but I want something up on there technology but I want something reliable. And when it does break down it would be simple to fix. So I am really torn in two.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yamaha is a good choice. I had the 350 before, and it did some pulling though the woods and over stream effortlessly.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're just looking for a used atv for $4000 or less, get a 660 Grizzly. That will give you great performance along with being a good work machine for the $4000 that your budget will allow. If you don't really want irs, a Suzuki Vinson 500 would be another good choice. Hondas are great, my current atv is an old 300 fourtrax 2x4 but I don't ride much anymore and couldn't justify spending a lot for something that won't get that many miles on it. I've owned a 660 Grizzly before and I wish I hadn't gotten rid of it but at the time money was tight and I needed to sell it. The Grizzly and Vinson are 2 very sporty options. You could get a 500 Foreman, probably the best machine strictly for work or a Polaris 500 Sportsman. There are a lot of choices for $4000 or less. Basically any used 500 cc class machine other than maybe the can-am's which even used are still more expensive than that. I know everyone seems to love irs now but I wish someone still made a big bore that didn't have it. I know I had a 660 Grizzly but if it had been offered without irs, I would have opted for that model, probably would have cost less too. Kawasaki used to make the 650 Brute Force with a solid rear axle, it replaced the Prairie, which would be another good choice as well. I still think a solid rear axle is better for work as I think its tougher and basically maintenance free other than changing the fluid. Unless you really need the extra ground clearance for mudding and such, I'd get something without it. Cvt shafts wear out and have to be replaced and the boots can be torn as well. If you could find a used 650 Brute Force with a solid rear axle, you'd get the most bang for your buck and probably be the most fun to ride after the work is done.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:41 AM
Range Rover

Yeah want straight axcle for the for the small amount of up keeping on them. But I wouldn't mind having a ir 400 but I guess it is really what comes my way. Thanks again for all the help

Old 06-08-2014, 11:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Was just saying if $4000 is what you want to spend, you can get something more powerful than a 400 class machine. I've even seen some 500cc machines in the $2000-$2500 range. I actually saw a 500 Sportsman for $1695 relatively close to my area for sale at a pawn shop on craigslist supposedly with low miles and in great shape. So deals are out there.