Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex hare scramble

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400ex hare scramble

I'm looking into running the 400ex in some hare scrambles soon. I debating if I wanna hold onto the 400 or sell it and get a 450 cause it seems like thats all people run now a days in them. Any advice on if I should put some more upgrades on the 400 or just sell it? I have a motoworks sr4 slip on, uni air filter with open air box and I have it re jetted. Thanks

Old 04-21-2014, 06:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can run the 400, but it will never have the legs in the field sections no matter how much you sink into it. Even the C classes tend to move along at a pace fast enough to negate that awesome bottom end the EX has. If you haven't done a scramble yet, use the 400, have fun, see what you learn. My guess is if you want to stick with it a 450 will be in your future.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think Ill do that, I'll run the 400 see how I like it and how I do and go from their.
Thanks

Old 04-23-2014, 04:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

No problem. They are a ton of fun, but brutal on man and machine. Not for every one, and not worth blowing a small fortune on upgrades unyil you are ready to commit to xc.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah they do look like a lot of fun. Do you recommend getting parts for the quad before my first race? Another thing as for goggles do you recommend tear offs or roll offs? Thanks

Old 04-23-2014, 07:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

For goggles, get the best of both worlds and get roll offs that can handle a couple of tear offs over top. I also carry a spare set along with some basic tools, extra gloves, cell phone properly protected from water, id, and usually a small medical history in a camelback type hydration pack. I have broken down a few times at the far end of the track. The phone and id/history are good to let loved ones know what is going on when something happens to you.

For the quad, I would replace anything that is nearing the end of its' service life. Brake pads, tires, bearings and bushings. Have fresh oil and a brand spanking freshly serviced air filter in place. Don't bother with a K&N or an open air box. Your engine needs the protection more than you need the little bit of power. If it looks like rain or mud, put dielectric grease in every electrical connection you can find. Run the heaviest duty swingarm skidplate you can find. I have had good luck with the Armadillo .250" although I have switched to the new style like this Blingstar Dual Sprocket Guard Q-TRX450R-DSG. Run at least a chassis skid as well, the plastic ones are the best as they slide over obstacles and are less likely to bend and hang up. I wouldn't replace any perfectly functional aluminum skids if you already have it installed though. Get some comfy grips and make sure they are secured, preferably with safety wire as well as glue. In fact, it doesn't hurt to safety wire just about anything you think might come loose.

Most of all, don't worry about the power, it is an endurance race and as much about surviving as it is going fast. My brother is younger and much faster than me, for one lap. I have never lost to him in many races though, as he just can't get that endurance thing into his head, lol.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks again for the advice. As for goggles I found scott recoil googles that are the roll off and tear off together I think Ill try them out. I'm running open airbox now I'm thinking of putting one of the ehs racing lids on it with the outerwears, but if not Ill just run the stock lid and rejet again. Yeah we'll see how the first race goes, I'm pretty excited about it. I'm gonna get and do all the things you have listed. I'm just gonna keep practicing up till It gets closer

Old 04-24-2014, 08:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

I love Scott goggles, and you can buy refills for the tear offs and roll offs at pretty much any event. Smaller brands can be hit or miss, and when you need them, you need them.

XC tends to be pretty family oriented. Don't be afraid to bring a few friends/fam that might be interested in watching. They should know they probably will only see you for a handful of seconds each lap once the flag drops though. A lot of guys arrive the night before and camp out, walk the track, party. XC is a great way to network and meet new friends. Watch the bikes and minis run if you can, and don't be afraid to approach people and talk. Be humble and remember, the best you are going to get is a cheap trinket and some sore muscles. It isn't worth the conflict a few guys will want to bring.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Those are the one's I'll go with then. Yeah I'm glad I have a friend racing with me he has a yfz so I'll have someone with me. Do you recommend getting a hydration pack or do you think you'd be okay without one?

Old 04-26-2014, 07:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

I drain a 1 liter pack and am still thirsty on hot days. You may not need a pack, but i do recommend one. Either way hydrate before the race, starting 24hours prior.

Quick Reply: 400ex hare scramble