Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Jetting Advice for YFZ 450

Old 04-13-2014, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jetting Advice for YFZ 450

Hello, I am new to the forum and I apologize if this exact post is on here somewhere. I know there are jetting discussions but I can't find one to my exact situation. I recently bought an 08 YFZ 450 se. I am purchasing some parts for it and would like to know exactly what I should choose for jetting. I am putting on a full aftermarket exhaust (I think Dasa)and a K&N air filter. I guess first off do I need to re-jet it and if I do, what jets should I get as far as size? I have no idea how to jet or what to do with them. Also a side question as I just bought it; when it is at idle and I punch the throttle (in neutral) it bogs down and dies. What could this be? When I am riding and racing around the throttle is fine but it just seems like when I punch it before I have the engine rev'd up at all it doesn't get air or fuel fast enough.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For jetting, check with the exhaust manufacturer, but generally you need to go up one or two sizes on the main, and maybe 1 size on the pilot, coming from stock.

I would only use K&N in the dunes, every where else foam is better, jmho.

Sounds like you are experiencing the dreaded FCR bog. Common on a stock carb. Try adding throttle just a tad slower and it shouldn't bog. In real world riding I have never had an issue. There are a number of fixes, including the Boyeson powershot and its' clones.