Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

82 250r top end rebuild HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 01:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 250r top end rebuild HELP

well my 82 250r atc blew up last week , i havent tore into it yet, but on my ride last week it just kept shutting off and become easier and easier to kick out , while running i could hear a ticking sound coming from the top end, i get to my road to head home and it dies again but this time i am unanle to kick it over , what im wondering is how to i set everything up for the rebuild , i have a spare jug and head and complete spare non running tore apart engine in case something went terribly wrong , but i have never rebuilt a 2 stroke before so im looking for and advise , tips , and some info on what i should be looking for when im taring the top end down , and advise on putting her back together, iv done a few 4 stroke rebuilds , looking forward to any advise/tips i get from all

please help i wanna have her ready for the next big ride

Old 04-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Trailblazer

started pulling the top end off today , but i seem to have a problem the piston jammed itself into the walls of the jug really bad, so im stumped on this , iv have hit it twice and the piston started to brake into pieces any advise on what i should do from here ? will upload pics later today

Old 04-02-2014, 04:07 PM
Trailblazer

so this is what i found when i opened her up yesterday rusty bolt is stopping me from pulling the jug off any suggestions ???

Attached Thumbnails 82 250r top end rebuild HELP-picture-001.jpg   82 250r top end rebuild HELP-picture-002.jpg   82 250r top end rebuild HELP-picture-003.jpg  
Old 04-02-2014, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How are you able to move the cylinder if you still have one nut holding it on? Try using WD-40 rust spray or PB Blaster. Spray and let it set over night. If that doesn't loosen it up, you might have to cut it.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by nachop
How are you able to move the cylinder if you still have one nut holding it on? Try using WD-40 rust spray or PB Blaster. Spray and let it set over night. If that doesn't loosen it up, you might have to cut it.
i cant move the cylinder, yea im gonna try heating it up tomorrow with a small torch and if that doesn't work ill PB blaster it through out 24 hours, if that dont work ill cut it, but im hoping i wont have to cut it , i ended up being able to free the piston from the wall on the jug , it has a layer of metal from the piston from the top of the jug to the exhaust ports , witch is 0.2 cm thick , never have i seen a piston do this before , i tore the carb down today and noticed the float needle seize,and random stuff floating around so ill be doing a carb overhaul and new air filter in the next few days .. whats a good air filter to go with?

Old 04-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer Uni foam air filters, although most foam filters should do a good job of filtering dust/dirt. I would stay away from ANY paper type filters.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by nachop
I prefer Uni foam air filters, although most foam filters should do a good job of filtering dust/dirt. I would stay away from ANY paper type filters.
I agree!!
I'd PB/WD the bolt when you're heating it.
FYI: I've seen plenty of pistons like that.. Age/dirt in carb causing a lean out, whatever the cause, you just clean out your bottom end good (I use 2 stroke mixxed fuel), make sure the bearings are rolling good (you may want to do the bottom end/crank bearings now).
FYI 2: The head will be fine even tho it's pitted from the piston pieces (if you don't have another).

Old 04-04-2014, 02:36 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by LT80
I agree!!
I'd PB/WD the bolt when you're heating it.
FYI: I've seen plenty of pistons like that.. Age/dirt in carb causing a lean out, whatever the cause, you just clean out your bottom end good (I use 2 stroke mixxed fuel), make sure the bearings are rolling good (you may want to do the bottom end/crank bearings now).
FYI 2: The head will be fine even tho it's pitted from the piston pieces (if you don't have another).
yea it was becuase of the carb the float needle stuck and leaned right out , i have a complete spare 250r motor with a cracked bottom end im gonna get the crank rebuilt and new bearings if something seems amiss , i have a spare head thats like brand new maybe 10 hours on , the dome is still shinny and not black , im not to comfortable with taking the bottom end apart on my own so i may try and pay my buddy's dad to tare it down and replace all the bearings and clean the bottom end . i ordered the uni filter todays and a complete hardware kit , still not sure of how to find what carb rebuilt kit i need , the spark plug in the head got mangled and i cant get the plug out now so its in the maybe useable pile for now

Old 04-04-2014, 05:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

"its in the maybe useable pile for now"
That plug should never be used again.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:46 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by LT80
"its in the maybe useable pile for now"
That plug should never be used again.
haha yea plug is never gonna be used again, the head maybe after a little machine work to the dome , but i still cant get the rusted nut off and cant fit the cutter in with out a large chance of damaging the jug , im starting to get really pissed of with this soaked it for 2 days heated it up and still wont move, getting to the point where im ready to just give up on it. even tho i love the bike so much

Quick Reply: 82 250r top end rebuild HELP