Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

honda rancher AT or honda rancher 4x4 with power steering?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda rancher AT or honda rancher 4x4 with power steering?

I've decided on the rancher serries so my question rancher AT or base rancher? I want IRS with foot shift and it has to be honda and mid-sized. AT has IRS but no foot shift. Base has foot shift but no IRS. I ride in tight trails (mid-sized chassis), soft mud (IRS), I like foot shift nothing wrong with ES or auto but I'm a foot shift guy, reliability durability tough (honda).

Old 07-21-2013, 08:37 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I fine the loaded Rancher way over priced with a M.S.R.P. $7,799.00 . You can add all the little bells and whistles want but at the end of the day you still have a small mid size ATV 4x4.

The larger 500 Foreman E.S cost less and the base 500 Rubicon cost about the same.
Then you have to add larger tires ($550 installed). Your not going to be happen with small 24" low end 2ply OEM tires Honda uses. They look bald when new.

Nice ATV but is the features ,EPS,IRS (only 6.3" of travel same as the SRA model) and Auto is not worth a extra $2000 vs a base 4x4 Rancher.
Its a Mid Size ATV in the big chassis ATV price range.

It cost almost the same as a 550 Grizzly a ATV that can beat Honda's flagship 680 Rincon in a shootout. 2013 Honda FourTrax® Rancher® AT with EPS (TRX®420FPA) ATVs.

I,d get the base Rancher 4x4 out of the two if I had to chose.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Trailblazer

personally i don't mind shifting with my feet or having it a little harder to steer. i would get the cheaper one. But my friend has one with power steering and electric shift and he loves it.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

We were warned by a Honda mechanic that the 420 auto was not a good model so avoided selling them, however one customer insisted and has not reported any problems but he does not do a big mileage. We sold a lot of 420 FMs and they were an excellent machine, spoilt by a faulty rear axle. The rear hubs come loose and the axle shaft comes loose in the diff. Both problems can be cured by regularly checking if the wheels are loose, and the spacer tube between the diff and the lock nuts, which are supposed to keep the shaft tight. The new 420FM has a similar axle to the old 350 which did not give much trouble but is a bigger quad, based on the 500 chassis.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

We just bought the 2014 Rancher 4x4 with Power steering and the manual shift like what you are looking at. And it is a pretty good bike. It has the solid rear axle though, but I find it rides pretty smooth. However I have only rode it on light trails/gravel/light mud. I could see how it would be a little stiff on some bumpy trails or rocks.
I would say if you want it to do a little more work tasks and some light riding go with the base rancher with the manual and power steering. If you are going to do more riding and mudding i would go with the IRS and auto. I think either one would be a great bike though.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by reconrider88
I've decided on the rancher serries so my question rancher AT or base rancher? I want IRS with foot shift and it has to be honda and mid-sized. AT has IRS but no foot shift. Base has foot shift but no IRS. I ride in tight trails (mid-sized chassis), soft mud (IRS), I like foot shift nothing wrong with ES or auto but I'm a foot shift guy, reliability durability tough (honda).
Just bought a 2014 Rancher 4X4 foot shift. Love it so far. Remember that with IRS, you will never get the same 4wd pull as with a straight axle in the rear.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:19 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by FarmLifeMS
Just bought a 2014 Rancher 4X4 foot shift. Love it so far. Remember that with IRS, you will never get the same 4wd pull as with a straight axle in the rear.
How is that?
IRS or SRA the back two wheels are 100% locked and turn both at once at all times.

The "one and only" advantage a SRA do not carry the trailer's tongue weight on the suspension if towing a trailer.

IRS advantage is smoother ride over rough ground.
Much more ground clearance.
All IRS have stronger rear Hydraulic disc brakes vs a Mechanical drum brake of a SRA.

Most all SRA have one single shock while IRS always have two shocks. Two springs stay stiffer then one over the long run.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:39 PM
Range Rover

My Rubicon has 2 shocks.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:03 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DogRunner2
My Rubicon has 2 shocks.
Honda designed the Rubicon to be their true work horse with a heaver rear suspension and a dedicated low range.

The Foreman up to 2011 also had the twin shock system but they cheeped out on the new Foremans with the single set shock like the Rancher. Cost cuts I guess.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TLC
How is that?
IRS or SRA the back two wheels are 100% locked and turn both at once at all times.

The "one and only" advantage a SRA do not carry the trailer's tongue weight on the suspension if towing a trailer.

IRS advantage is smoother ride over rough ground.
Much more ground clearance.
All IRS have stronger rear Hydraulic disc brakes vs a Mechanical drum brake of a SRA.

Most all SRA have one single shock while IRS always have two shocks. Two springs stay stiffer then one over the long run.
It's very possible that I was wrong. The only IRS bikes I have ever seen were just like any other vehicle with IRS- positive traction. A buddy of mine has an older Honda bike with IRS, but it had a button to lock the rear differential. I certainly agree with the rest of your response. Looking back, the only reason I didn't get the IRS model Rancher is because it was a good chunk of change more than the straight axle.

Quick Reply: honda rancher AT or honda rancher 4x4 with power steering?