Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Best Honda ATV

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beergut
anyone who's ever ridden an atv for any length of time with an efi would understand- trust me- I've owned them all - almost 3 decades and dozens worth of bikes & atv's- huge diff between efi & carb.

just like the power-steering debate... only people who have never experienced power steering on a rough trail think having PS makes no diff.

Yea, we get it,efi is more efficient as you've stated several times. Why would you quote TLC about warm up time and not explain you're thinking? Yes,efi is more efficient but it doesn't have a thing to do with how long it takes to warm a bike up. Btw,I've never had trouble with a carbed bike,no big deal to pull a choke **** when it's cold,and carb or efi would have nothing to do with what atv I buy.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:55 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DogRunner2
Yea, we get it,efi is more efficient as you've stated several times. Why would you quote TLC about warm up time and not explain you're thinking? Yes,efi is more efficient but it doesn't have a thing to do with how long it takes to warm a bike up. Btw,I've never had trouble with a carbed bike,no big deal to pull a choke **** when it's cold,and carb or efi would have nothing to do with what atv I buy.
Read the rest of my posts and then comment to find your answer above.
Btw- the way your motor burns fuel does impact how the engine warms up.
Research efi.
You can be stubburn all you want- hundreds / thousands of very well educated engineers have figured out efi is superior to carb in dozens of ways- the very fact that just about every new vehicle (atv, bike, boat, car & truck) sold has efi should be proof enough of the significance efi has over carb... You'll catch up sooner or later.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

Beergut- So do you start up your ATV and go wide open in the first few seconds a lot? Regardless of wether you can do it or not, thats horrible on any engine. Anytime it is cold out I like to start my machine and let it idle for at least a few minutes before jumping on and going wide open. I dont think there is anything wrong with EFI, but If something fails on it, which is far more likely than it is with a carb, then you will be spending a lot more money.

My uncle has a Polaris 500 Sportsman he bought new with a carb. Wouldnt start one day. Turns out it was the ECM. There is $500 I never have to worry about with my Big Bear.

Same uncle was going to go riding with us one day and went to get the Polaris out of the shed. The battery had went bad sitting there. He jumped it but the EFI system draws so much power that it would not run correctly so he had to park it until he got a battery. My Big Bear will pull start without a battery and run all day long.

Like I said, EFI is good, but there are times a carb is better and I feel like for anyone that is keeping an ATV for a long time the carb will be more reliable in the long run. Same as the power steering ATV's. Just one more thing to go wrong and cost $$ or strand you.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Range Rover

I'm not being stubborn at all,I agree efi is better,just don't care,my bike runs fine. But efi or carb,it takes so long to warm an engine.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:29 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by Cummins Driver
Beergut- So do you start up your ATV and go wide open in the first few seconds a lot? Regardless of wether you can do it or not, thats horrible on any engine. Anytime it is cold out I like to start my machine and let it idle for at least a few minutes before jumping on and going wide open. I dont think there is anything wrong with EFI, but If something fails on it, which is far more likely than it is with a carb, then you will be spending a lot more money.

My uncle has a Polaris 500 Sportsman he bought new with a carb. Wouldn't start one day. Turns out it was the ECM. There is $500 I never have to worry about with my Big Bear.

Same uncle was going to go riding with us one day and went to get the Polaris out of the shed. The battery had went bad sitting there. He jumped it but the EFI system draws so much power that it would not run correctly so he had to park it until he got a battery. My Big Bear will pull start without a battery and run all day long.

Like I said, EFI is good, but there are times a carb is better and I feel like for anyone that is keeping an ATV for a long time the carb will be more reliable in the long run. Same as the power steering ATV's. Just one more thing to go wrong and cost $$ or strand you.
first- let me apologize to the OP for hijacking his thread conversations are fluid and sometimes they go off topic...

if you factor in the amount of time (time = money) you spend on making sure your carb is in order, year after year- draining bowls, re jetting, cleaning jets... you spend much more time, money & energy.

you can't use these arguments to win a debate:

Just one more thing to go wrong and cost $$ or strand you.
otherwise, you'd still be driving to work in a horse carriage. Advances in mechanical technology exsist soley for the purpose of making things better, more efficient and more dependable. If in the "long run" carbs were better, then there would be no efi, and companies who make them would be bankrupt- and every atv would still use a carb. understand?

my friend had an efi & I had a carb and we both got there no problem
if this argument held any merit- then everyone would be riding a 150cc atvs, since getting from point A to point B is all that's desired- but that's not the case- that argument makes no sense. It's about getting from point A, and back to point A with performing the least amount of service as possible, it's about dependability and ergonomics. EFI has only been used in the atv industry for maybe 5 - 6 years at most?

carbs are easier to repair when trail-side
again- this makes no sense. carbs are not easier to work on trail side.
there are 10x the parts to a carb than an on an efi- it's much easier to carry 1 spare injector and pop it in if an injector fails than it is removing a carb, tearing it down, punching out all the jets, readjusting the idle and the air/fuel mixture... None of that with an injector- no jetting, no adjusting rich / lean mixture screws, no adjusting antiquated float bowls or needles- it's a real no-brainer.

So do you start up your ATV and go wide open in the first few seconds a lot? Regardless of wether you can do it or not, thats horrible on any engine. Anytime it is cold out I like to start my machine and let it idle for at least a few minutes
in the dead of winter I can start my efi up at the blip of a button- nice, even perfect idle, no smoke, no unstable rpms...and I'm riding within 20 seconds with no bogging or babying of the throttle. In fact, efi allows the oil to reach engine components more efficiently and prevents premature engine wear by way of a low rpm cold starts... unlike a carb with a choke that allows more fuel to instantly rev the ice cold engine way up into the thousands of rpms as soon as it's started- where oil hasn't gotten to yet.

Do you think your engine cares if it's at 2000 rpm sitting at idle or 2000 rpm while riding on a cold morning? So by saying you allow your engine to warm up before riding with the choke on (choke on = high rpm) it's no different than if you were just riding it.
No high rpm idle on an efi cold starts.

I dont think there is anything wrong with EFI, but If something fails on it, which is far more likely than it is with a carb, then you will be spending a lot more money
it's not far more likely- not even close. This point has been proven wrong ad-nauseam time & time again. just research it and save me a lot of typing.

The battery had went bad sitting there. He jumped it but the EFI system draws so much power that it would not run correctly so he had to park it until he got a battery. My Big Bear will pull start without a battery and run all day long
another moot point-
yes, you need a battery to use the efi on most atv's, but.... even non-efi big bore atv's have batteries, (ever try to pull-start a big bore? ) and just about every atv comes with a battery. It's normal maintenance to tend to a battery! either charge it or replace it every couple of years- which you should be doing for efi or carb anyways. You can't blame the atv that it's not running because a human didn't maintain it properly! That's like blaming a carb for having bad fuel in it- it requires maintenance!

basically- if you ever want to move up to a newer atv with comfort features- you're buying an atv with an efi.
Things break- it happens. What's cheaper & easier...? spending $250 - $350 on an extended warranty for your efi atv that covers all repairs, or spending a weekend farting around with a bogged carb, stuck float pissing gass out the bottom and trying to tune it with a flat head- such a no-brainer .

Out of the last 17 4x4 atv's I've owner over the last 6 years, only three were carbed- (05 BF 750 , 06 BF 750, 05 rincon 650) all thee had low mileage and all three were a PITA during cold winter riding and the carbs all needed service- the BF carbs were in the shop twice!
How many efi issues did I have with the other 14 atv's....... just 1- the 05 KQ 700fi, and it was because the TPS sensor screw was lose and the tps sensor was out of alignment. Took all of 5 minutes to repair with 1 screwdriver.

it seems like all the people I hear that say there's no difference between efi & carb just don't have a good knowledge base on how the efi works and its symmetry with an engine.

I'll be done with this debate now and give the op his thread back.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

I'm at work and on my phone so I'm not going to quote everything and respond, but my dad bought a Foreman 400 4x4 new in 2001. That's 12 years old now. It has almost 8000 miles on it. NEVER has the carb been so much as touched. Not one time. It's also never seen a bottle of fuel additive. That's enough proof for me that EFI is not a requirement.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cummins Driver
I'm at work and on my phone so I'm not going to quote everything and respond, but my dad bought a Foreman 400 4x4 new in 2001. That's 12 years old now. It has almost 8000 miles on it. NEVER has the carb been so much as touched. Not one time. It's also never seen a bottle of fuel additive. That's enough proof for me that EFI is not a requirement.
I've never had the carb off my '90 4Trax 350D .... ever!
Both carb'd Harleys '91 & '92 ..... changed jets on the '92 about 12 years ago.
No fuel/carb problems .....

Beergut .... if efi works good for you, then I'm very happy for you, but efi isn't the 'be all-end all' in fuel delivery systems. Many can attest to that.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:44 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

duplicate post deleted

Old 01-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Range Rover

Beergut .... if efi works good for you, then I'm very happy for you, but efi isn't the 'be all-end all' in fuel delivery systems. Many can attest to that.

True words-End of debate.Now the OP can have his thread back.Btw,my Dads 2000 Foreman has 8100 miles and 2200 hrs and has never touched the carb
That's a fact that can't be argued.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:46 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by Did you step in something?
I've never had the carb off my '90 4Trax 350D .... ever!
Both carb'd Harleys '91 & '92 ..... changed jets on the '92 about 12 years ago.
No fuel/carb problems .....

you guys are just totally missing the point

it has nothing to do with that works well for me- it has nothing to do with it being the "be all-end all", it has nothing to do with getting from point A to point B, has nothing to do with any of that.

Let me say it like this...

Who needs shingles on their roof? a plastic tarp will work.
who needs foam in their car seats? solid chairs work.
who needs brighter lights in their house? candles work just fine.
who needs blue-ray dvd's? VCR tapes work fine.
who needs a thousand of vehicles to choose from? mini vans for all.
who needs cell phones? land lines were no problem.
who needs Teflon- cast iron works fine.

an analogy- you can say vcr tapes (or carbs) have worked well for your father for the last 20 years all you want, but don't tell me his vcr tapes are better than a blue-ray dvd! just the same, don't tell me EFI is either the same or worse than carb- it's just a very, very silly statement to make.

get it?

efi wasn't invented to give consumers a "second" option for fuel delivery.
efi was invented to give more efficient, more economic and more dependable fuel delivery when compared to the carburetor and the carbs antiquated fuel delivery. It's the ONLY REASON why efi exists!

Quick Reply: Best Honda ATV