Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » Brand Discussions Area » Honda
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to ATVConnection Forums!
Welcome to ATVConnection.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the ATVConnection Forums community today!

Reply Share this with your friends
Old 10-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
2001 Honda trx 300
My Garage

Default Help plz... tighten chain on trx 90

I hope this is the correct forum to post this.

I need to tighten the chain on my son's 1994 trx 90. It not quite loose enough to take a link out, but it does need an adjustment. It keeps slipping off. How do I tighten it a up a little? I don't see any bolts that could adjust the rear end. Am I not seeing them when I look?

Help! Thanks love the site I'm a new member.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:08 AM
Pro Rider
1987 Honda TRX250X

I'm not sure on a 90 but on many Hondas, you loosen two allen head bolts on the rear bearing carrier, then there are slots on the chain side of that carrier next to the sprocket. You put an allen wrench in one of the slots, sideways so as to use it as a lever, and use it to rotate the entire end of the carrier. It is an eccentric so as it rotates, the chain will get tighter or looser, depending on which way you rotate it. Make sure you don't overtighten it because as the bike suspension collapses, as in when you land a jump, the chain will get tighter. If you make it too tight, it will break something. But have a good look at the sprockets and chain before you tighten it. The chain may be worn out. If it is, you will need to replace it AND the sprockets. Never replace a worn out chain without replacing the sprockets too. How do you tell if a chain is worn out? Several ways but the quickest and easiest is to try to pull it away from the back of the rear sprocket. If you can expose more than half of a sprocket tooth, the chain is done.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
2001 Honda trx 300
My Garage

Thanks. Will try this asap and report back!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
2001 Honda trx 300
My Garage

I got it! Your reply was so informative it helped me to exactly know what to do!

It was fairly simple! Thank you.

Kflanagan
Old 10-13-2012, 09:06 AM
Trailblazer
Garage is empty, add now

According to the owners manual there should be 1 1/4 to 1 5/8 slack in the chain for a 400ex. I don't know if it is the same for the 90ex or not. You can download your specific manual on hondaatvforums.net. It comes in very handy if you don't have one.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
2001 Honda trx 300
My Garage

Thanks! yes, Ill have to get a manual.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Reply Share this with your friends

Tags
2000, 2001, 90, adjust, adjustment, chain, end, honda, links, rear, roghten, thw, tighten, trx, trx90, trx90com