Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

TRX350EF Electronic shift issues

Old 11-18-2015, 03:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRX350EF Electronic shift issues

Hi experts, I have a 2005 TRX350 with electric shift that lunges and stalls out when it is put into gear. It will do this when I m holding the brake and even if I am not holding. I was hoping it would at least go with no brakes applied so I would know where to start. There are no codes blinking, and it did this even when I tried to manually shift it. I am not totally sure what happened prior to it coming to me other than he said he replaced the clutch pack. Any thoughts?

Old 11-18-2015, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Does sounds like an clutch issue...couldbe an adjustment,idle speed to high,clutch installed wrong or needs some more clutch parts.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:59 PM
Trailblazer

Well, now I have a different problem. I took everything apart and made sure it was installed to spec. The buttons will make the trans shift and downshift into gear, but not while it is running. While running I can shift into first just fine, but the quad will not move. If I try and hit it down into neutral the quad will lunge while I am holding the button, almost like it isn't actuall in gear.. Shut it down and it will shift back to neutral. Start up, "shift into 1st" according to the display, but still wont move, hit button back into neutgral and then it will move.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:31 AM
Trailblazer

If anyone happens to be following this yet, I did get it to function properly in R, 1, 2, 3, but when I hit 4th gear the quad slowly comes to a halt, same thing in 5th gear. The clutch adjustment seems to be very fussy. I am running regular oil in it because I don't want to put good expensive stuff in it every time I take it apart, I cant imagine that it would make that big of a difference for testing purposes. The back end is lifted off the ground when trying to run through the gears

Old 12-03-2015, 03:24 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

There is something wrong with the clutches. Adjustment is dead easy, slacken the nut off, wind the adjuster in the "increase" direction until it goes slack, then the "decrease" direction until resistance is felt, back off about a sixth of a turn and tighten the nut. Electric shift models have a different clutch pack to manual ones, an extra plate, has yours got the right set of plates? Is the centrifugal clutch worn out?

Old 12-04-2015, 11:34 AM
Trailblazer

How much resistance should I feel when I am adjusting it? Am I feeling for that very slight resistance where the adjuster begins pushing on the spring, or when it touches the clutch lifter. How do I know if the centrifugal clutch is going bad? It does turn fine in one direction and not the other

Old 12-04-2015, 12:28 PM
Trailblazer

It got it to run through the gears, but I am back to my original problem. When it shifts into first or reverse, the clutches don't slip and the quad just wants to move. If I hold it back with the brakes the engine quits. I made sure that everything was reassembled correctly and the clutch pack was torqued to the correct value, 9lbs. I am working on this for a friend and am waiting to hear back from him whether he put the correct clutch pack in. That is the only thing I can think of.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Kinda wonder if your centrifugal clutch is stuck or the return springs are worn... Or the multiplate clutch isn't fully disengaging when you shift...

Old 12-04-2015, 02:45 PM
Trailblazer

If the centrifugal clutch was stuck, it wouldn't spin freely in either direction would it? If the springs were weak it would be grabbing any time the engine is running, right. Could be a possibility

Old 12-04-2015, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah I would agree with that. Not really sure if centri clutches can get stuck. I don't know if the springs wear out on those clutches, maybe one or two has broken, you'd have to take the side cover off to find out.

One more thing , I don't know if you or anyone else messed with the centri clutch, but I know from personal experience that reassembling the clutch is a bit of a pain in the rear. Everything has to be lined up right and if one clutch shoe or shoe slider isn't aligned right it wont go back in. So its possible the centri clutch mechanisms are installed wrong/ or it could just be worn springs, or not the centri clutch at all.

If it was me Id take off the side cover and visually inspect against the service manual to make sure everythings assembled correctly. Just my 2 cents.

Id also check your idle speed...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TRX350EF Electronic shift issues