Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda rancher blowing white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not knowing the brand of oil you were utilizing in the unit, I can only guess that it is possible that the inside of the engine may have had that yellowish burnt brown coating in areas which oil resides or splashes.. Using the diesel to flush could also have left it's residue over these areas and is still chemically cleaning the inside of the engine. One way to tell that is by simply removing the airbox lid and check the amount of blow-by from the crankcase breather hose. If needed, leave the lid off and put the quad in gear, hold the brakes and give the engine some load with the throttle. Note if the amount of smoke increases or decreases from the breather opening inside the airbox.
I am also concerned of how clean the water was... any debris could have been pushed through the oil pump rotors, scoring them. Other issues with the pump would be if soot from the water is restricting the spring movement of the oil pump relief valve and spring. This may also cause high oil pressurs and in turn smoking from the exhaust may be it's result.
Other issues that could have happened, worn off clutch fiber particles that were compacted neatly into their little hiding places of the nooks and crannies of the engine cases or within the clutch pack itself may have became dislodged along with any sludge and is working through the engine causing excess crankcase smoke as that stuff burns off and passes off through the airbox breather and being distributed through the carb inlet, and passing out the exhaust.
LOL, kinda hard to diagnose over the internet, just blowing thoughts out that I have run across in the past from this type of situation.. The shock of the hot engine in cold water could have caused the valve guide seal lips to harden and lose their sealability on the valve stems. You never mentioned a rattle so I wouldn't go as far to say a valve seat loosened up or dropped. In any case, taking it out and running the hell out of isn't going to fix it.. lol. I would take it out and summit it to various engine loads at varied throttle openings though. Who knows what all went on inside there with water inside.... ?

~ Gimpster ~

Old 09-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Gimpter your right bout just re-ringing can hold up real good if the proper things have been tested an measured correct! I do have 100's out there with just re-ringing BUT alot of things got to be right! But most people don't even measure or even know how to measure an this is why re-ringing usaually don't last! The main reason is the cylinder is out of spec's, out round IMO it's is very hard for round rings to seal up an egg shape hole! So yes people re-ringing will hold up BUT you got to measure an inspect parts not just re-ring and not expect to last forever it you don't measure to see the condition of cylinder and small end of rod!

Old 09-10-2011, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahmen... if you walk into a shop and all that can be found in tool boxes and their tool room is a bead hone.... don't have your engine rebuilt there !!!
LOL

~ Gimpster ~

Old 09-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got ya,

Thanks for all your help. Its nice when people really know their stuff and u certainly appear to.

It makes me sick that i did this lol. It doesnt have many hours on it at all and i really like my rancher except for the full time 4wd.

Is there an oil additive that i could try to use to unstick the rings if that could be an easy fix or even to make it quick smoking so i can trade it in at the stealership?

Old 09-28-2015, 08:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00rancher1991
That's what the Honda mechanic told me from my local Honda shop when I took mine to him. He said you can bored them but the rings will only last about 200 miles no matter what kind of rings you put in it because they are bored at a angle. He said to look around and see if I could find one cheaper because they wanted almost $400 for a cylinder.
I wonder if this is what has happened to my Hubby's atv. Unfortunately we live in a small area and no good mechanics around here.