Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

HELP-250x head oil leak.. cant find gasket online!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP-250x head oil leak.. cant find gasket online!!

My 1991 Honda 250x is starting to leak oil out of the top end.. I cant seem to find the gasket online. is it hard to fix this leak? heres a pic pointing out where im talking about.. in the pic i point out where its leaking from also i broke a bolt off (in the pic) and i know that one of the reasons why it leaks..but i know it needs a gasket too and im gonna get it out when i take the cover off but i cant seem to find the gasket online anywhere.. please help if you know where i can find the gasket .. thanks

Attached Thumbnails HELP-250x head oil leak.. cant find gasket online!!-1010001905.jpg  
Old 01-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Is it the head cover leaking? it doesn,t have gasket just good black rtv or grey 3m high temp!!

Old 01-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Trailblazer

so theres no gasket for it? just use silicone gasket maker?..

Old 01-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

That looks like the valve cover. That's an O ring, not a gasket. Take the O ring to an O ring place and they should be able to match it.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes that atv has an oring for the value cover.But the head cover between value cover and head is an cover thats is seal by grey high temp sealant...But you talking bout cylinder head[that has value inside of it? they are and gasket there.But if you are bout the little oval shape covers they have orings under them,But you are talking bout the oil leak under the cover that the little cover bolt to thats head cover cover and that has grey sealant to seal it no gasket, So you need to help us with the part you are talking about then...

Old 01-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Trailblazer

no its not leaking out of the valve covers. its bubbling out on the seam of the head cover (where the red line is in the pic). so if i heard you right theres no gasket for that. so whats the best high temp to use? 3m? and anyone have any pointers to apply it?

Old 01-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Trailblazer

and just a fyi.. that picture isnt when it was leaking. its a old pic of it i used to point out where its leaking.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

You can buy some gasket material and make your own gasket pretty cheap. I used to do it all the time. But that area doesn't have any pressure to speak of so RTV will also work.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:11 PM
2 strokes or 4

Originally Posted by papa hogg scoot
Yes that atv has an oring for the value cover.But the head cover between value cover and head is an cover thats is seal by grey high temp sealant...But you talking bout cylinder head[that has value inside of it? they are and gasket there.But if you are bout the little oval shape covers they have orings under them,But you are talking bout the oil leak under the cover that the little cover bolt to thats head cover cover and that has grey sealant to seal it no gasket, So you need to help us with the part you are talking about then...
Yeah what he said!

Old 01-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no gasket between the head and the rockerbox . Take the gas tank off and remove the rockerbox . You wont mess anything up because you dont have to mess with the cam or timming in any way. Clean the rocker box and the head to remove any old sealer and apply new sealer . Any high temp sealer should work . You might get lucky and some of broken bolt might be sticking up out of the head . Hope this helps

Quick Reply: HELP-250x head oil leak.. cant find gasket online!!