Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Looking for opinions on new quad purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for opinions on new quad purchase

Currently I ride a 2000 polaris sportsman 500. I like the quad's ride, ground clearance, and awd. I don't like the weight and i have had some minor cooling issues. One of my buddies that I ride with has a 2001 rancher. It seems very bullet proof. I like the rancher due to its smaller size and weight, but it is slow, has low ground clearance and solid axle. I don't mind the ride but it is not nearly as comfortable as mine. I don't like the three wheel drive, but it goes pretty much anywhere the sportsman goes (it might take him more than one attempt on some obsticles). It seems the ranchers light weight is it's biggest attribute. If the machine gets hung up, he can rock it off pretty easily. My question is how reliable is the new rancher 420? Is the fuel injection or cooling system somthing to worry about. Is it faster than the old 350? I would also consider the simple forman? I ride year round, every week, in Massachusetts. The trerrain is mostly woods trails, some mud, some water, some swamp and now all snow. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 01-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

Ranchers are awesome. Wish I had one. You might want to look at a Rincon with IRS.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Trailblazer

I own a 450 foreman and two Rincons. Other than getting some grit in my carb jet on my foreman it hasn't ever gave me any problems after 1800 miles and it is a simple machine but it isn't quick or have much ground clearance and the ride gets rough after riding a couple hrs.. I have heard good things about the new 420 ranchers that they are kinda snappy on the throttle and reliable. Now my Rincons I really enjoy they are pretty quick but nowhere near a bigbore machines power like a bruteforce. They have good ground clearance and the ride is pretty good and are very reliable as I have seen one with 20k miles on it. Now I don't do much mud but I have heard they have a problem with the rad getting covered with mud and will get a little hot until it is clean and they don't really have any engine braking so you will have to get use to using all brakes on steep hills. They say they are the best utility trail machine made.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:22 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Jim- where are you located in mass? There's quite a few of us on here from the mass / ri / ct area.

Are you looking for a full size / big bore (600-800cc) atv or would you like to stay with a medium size 400-500cc atv?

Do you prefer haveing an IRS (idependent rear suspension) or SRA (solid rear axle)?

Are you ok with a CVT clutch (polaris, yamaha, suzuki, kawasaki & can-am) or are you looking for a shifting clutch (honda)?

These are some basic questions that you want to consider when shopping for an atv...

Old 01-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Trailblazer

Beergut,

I am located in Easton, MA. I am in the market for a mid size atv. I like the Yamaha Grizzly and the Honda Rancher or Foreman. I am not interested the Rincon. I would like a light weight machine (rancher) but one that rides smooth. A typicle ride for me is about 4 hours. I don't mind either tranny. Right now my polaris has a cvt and it's ok. I don't know much about the hodamatic with regard to reliability.

Jim

Old 01-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The 420 Rancher has proven to be light years ahead of the previous versions. It is WAY WAY more punchy, but still has the excellent handling.

It comes in 5 speed geared transmission and solid rear axle, either in foot shift or in push button electric shift (ES). Later ES models are more reliable than previous ones, that sometimes have angle sensor problems (not a big repair).

The 420 now also comes in a dual clutch auto 5 speed (different than the ES) in IRS rear suspension. Power steering is also an option, but the IRS, auto, and PS adds some weight.

The Rancher is physically smaller than the Rincon, Foreman, Rubicon, and also the 400 Eiger/King Quad. I think the Griz 450 is closer in size to the Ranchers.

As far as the 3 wheel drive goes, my Hondas spin all 4 wheels in most conditions. The limited slip front dif doesn't react instantly, but it is much better than the "3 wheel drive" critics call it.

Try to get a real trail ride on one of the new Ranchers. Internet opinions are great for research, but there is no substitute for a little seat time when looking to make a $$ purchase.

Good luck and let us know what you decide and how you like it.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:52 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Plumberjim
Beergut,

I am located in Easton, MA. I am in the market for a mid size atv. I like the Yamaha Grizzly and the Honda Rancher or Foreman. I am not interested the Rincon. I would like a light weight machine (rancher) but one that rides smooth. A typicle ride for me is about 4 hours. I don't mind either tranny. Right now my polaris has a cvt and it's ok. I don't know much about the hodamatic with regard to reliability.

Jim

Haha- I grew up in Easton! 15 years on purchase st...

I'll send you a pm.