Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » Brand Discussions Area » Honda
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register ATV Photos FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageVendors
Search
Welcome to ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Reply Share this with your friends
Old 10-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Exclamation Atc 125m honda Problems

I recently bought a 85' Honda atc 125m and it runs and always pull starts on first time without having the choke on. One prob i am having is i'm getting oil coming out of the motor right where the muffler is bolted to. More then just a drip. Could it be my rings or just to much oil. The chain is also way too tight in my mind, is there a way to loosen it up at all?

I'm getting ready to take the motor out and take apart to replace all the seals and gaskets, is there any tips you could give me on doing so? Any common problems i should look at while i have it apart?

It also smokes like no other, is this a major issue? And lastly where could i find cheap parts like a muffler and gaskets and maybe a carb kit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2010, 12:05 AM
Trailblazer
Garage is empty, add now

no one replied? Yupp too much oil can overpressure the internals and may be the reason for both the leaks and smoke. also some fancy expensive oddball oils and additives can do strange stuff. Waste yourself 2 bucks and change it with some cheap 10 40 and see what it does. Also drain your old oil onto a screen so you can see if theres a REAL reason to yank the engine and go thru all that trouble. ps the chain adjust may be where you loosen the bolts that hold the rear axle carrier and rotate it to loosen or tighten
Old 11-03-2010, 12:15 AM
Trailblazer
Garage is empty, add now

if that 125 is a horizontal engine, there may be a 2$ seal on the exhaust valve and that by itself can cause oversmoke. If it hasn''t been run for a while, the exhaust can hold moisture for a really long time and steam looks like smoke. Do a compression check before you tear it all apart for no real good reason, unless you have that kinda free time.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:44 PM
2 strokes or 4
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoe171 View Post
no one replied? Yupp too much oil can overpressure the internals and may be the reason for both the leaks and smoke. also some fancy expensive oddball oils and additives can do strange stuff. Waste yourself 2 bucks and change it with some cheap 10 40 and see what it does. Also drain your old oil onto a screen so you can see if theres a REAL reason to yank the engine and go thru all that trouble. ps the chain adjust may be where you loosen the bolts that hold the rear axle carrier and rotate it to loosen or tighten
Not just any old 10-40 make sure it's wet clutch safe ie: atv, motorcycle or it'll make your auto clutch slip real bad.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

I bought some wonderful Wal-Mart special 10-40 for my trx and it doesn't appear to make my clutch slip, also.. If your engine is anything like mine there's a cam-chain tightener right behind the cylinder. I can't remember if it was the cylinder it was attached to or not. I believe so.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:27 AM
Range Rover
Garage is empty, add now

The oil drain ports will plug on the 125's and cause the oil to build up in the head and run out of the exhaust valve when it gets deep enough. I had one that was doing that and someone had the cylinder off at some point and got some silicone in the drain passage so it drained slow. smoked like a freight train and ran oil out of the pipe.
2000 Honda TRX450S Foreman 2" lift, 26" mud lites on ITP type 4 wheels, front disc conversion. 2002 Bombardier DS650 ron wood stage 3 kit, dual Keihin FCR39mm carbs. 1987 Yamaha 350 Big Bear 26" mud tires. 2006 Polaris 500 HO scrambler. 2001 Polaris 325 Magnum 2x4. 2004 Honda TRX90. 1986 Yamaha 125 Breeze 1996 Kawasaki KX60. 1984 Kawasaki KLT110A three wheeler. 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Tow vehicle...2000 Dodge ram 2500 quad cab flatbed 24V Cummins 5 speed 4x4
Old 11-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

I assume your 125 is similar to my 200s and for that i just use regular 10w40 engine oil, and i have no problem with the clutch, and mine will give off alot of blue smoke until the engine gets good and warmed up wich can somtimes takes 15-20minutes depending on temperature and the intesity of how your running it
Old 11-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Reply Share this with your friends

Tags
125, 125m, 85, adjusting, atc, atc125m, clutch, common, exhaust, honda, muffler, oil, problems, time, timing