Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400 spark knock

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 400 spark knock

Could this be the gass or what . I run Reg gass or is there something else I need to do. It only hapens when I get into winding out 4th and 5th gear.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Range Rover

Cant belive that no one has an anser for this.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Typically, detonation occurs when the engine is under full load at a low RPM.
So no, I don't think your getting detonation from what you describe.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know, Doc, when fully wound out in any gear, the timing curve is at the peak,and I would think the motor would be more prone to ping. I worked on cars for a lot of years, and while you are correct, a heavy load at low rpm will really bring out the knock, I have experienced it at full rpms in top gear, when the timing advance is at full swing, and heat and carbon deposites caust preignition (ping). Used to "clean out" a lot of old cars that way,run them up to operating temp, then take them out on the road and floor it, rattle and ping, and smoke like heck, then, it would clear out,and run normally. The deposites were usually caused by slow driving and not fully heating up the motor, as in older folks driving back and forth to the store, etc. I'm sure a quad can build up a bit of carbon if bad gas or worn rings are allowing extra "stuff" into the combustion chamber,causing incomplete burning. There are some fuel addatives you can use to clean out the combustions chamber, or you can "de-carbon" it by gently spraying a tiny bit of Seafoam or other good solvent into the intake as you rev it up, just be careful not to flood it with cleaner.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Let mne say from the get go 95wolv that you have helped a lot of people on this site. You know engines; I can tell that from your responses that you give on this site.

Although I agree an engine can detonate at high RPM, that same engine will rattle so bad it will knock your fillings out at a high load low RPM deal.
The OP said it happens only at high RPM. This is a clue to me. Could I be wrong? Sure!! LOL. As you know, the reason engines go to full advance is because it needs it a max RPM. As you also know, that is why we had a vacuum retard pot on our distributor in the old days of points.

Honda is very conservitive when it comes to the power deal. They have to be with the air cool deal. They are down on compression and I have an idea that the cam they put in these things is a low capture cam so they can use low octane fuel.

What do i think it is? Damned if I know. Loose valves? Piston slap? Could be a lot of things including detonation, but that is not on the top of my list.

Again, thanks for the help you give these guys.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:29 AM
Range Rover

Ok Doc give me some ideas what I need to do to get to the botom of this. Some trouble shooting ideas. Piston slap what are signs of that and what ever else I can rule out. Thanks for what ever help you can give me.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Ok Doc give me some ideas what I need to do to get to the botom of this. Some trouble shooting ideas.
That's the problem; it could be SOOOOOOO many things. Even depending on what "exactly" the noise sounds like is a problem. I just don't think there is anyway I or anybody else can tell you what the problem is over the net.

Just to give you an idea who difficult diagnosing things can get:
A friend has a car I crew chief for. The engine just shuts down at anything over 6.5k. Just like you turn the key off. Then it comes alive again and does it over and over and over. We have not been lazy to try to solve this problem. Things changed so far over months of time:
3 different carbs
3 different distributors
3 different ign switches
3 different fuel pumps
2 different resistors
Different cylinder head
All new wiring loom
Disconected things like recall tack, safety lights ect.
All new fuel system, lines filters ect.
New fuel vent system.
Checked things like fuel pressure and voltages and probably a dozen or more other things.

The outcome of all this time and hard work? It still does it!!!!
I'm here and can see, hear and touch the engine. Still can't find the problem!!
I tell you this story to let you know things are very difficult to pin down sometimes. When an engine does not run, it's easy to fix. When an engine runs badly it can be a B#%ch to fix or even find out why.

My best suggestion is to find someone in your area that really knows engines take it for a ride and see what they think the problem could be.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Range Rover

Ha Doc thanks. Im going to start with the simple and work my way up.
Thanks again.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

No problem.

And if you really think it could be detonating plull the plug and see if it looks like the plug on this Ultimate Spark Plug Reading Thread - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum site under detonation.
It's the one that has little specks on it.

Or you can run a tank of premium in it and see if it goes away.

If you lived closer, I would trade you problems!!!
Good luck man!!!

Old 08-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now these are the kind of post replies I like !!! instead of wasting time bashing each other over who knows the most, very intelligent, in depth answers have been given. Doc, seeing your background, I have no doubt you have a lot of experience in this area, so I wouldn't dream of arguing with you, you have some excellent points. The thing is, what sounds like piston slap to one, may sound like loose valves to another, and spark knock to a third. Your advice to get it checked by someone locally is spot on, I was about to recommend the same, we can sit here online and guess all we want, but without actually being there to see and hear the symptoms, it is just that, an educated guess.

Quick Reply: 400 spark knock