Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

09 Rincon Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Rincon Review

Well I finally got to spend some quality seat time on the new ride. I thought I would share my opinion about it real quick.

1. Great ride
2. Plenty of power to go straight up the mountains of West Virginia
3. Brakes work good, but more engine braking would be useful going down steep hills
4. Very stable in steep and off-camber situations
5. Overall I give the machine an A. Loved it. Very happy with my purchase

The valve did start ticking a little at the 25hr time period. Its in the shop for that, but no real problems to speak of. Its a fun reliable (so far) machine to ride. Was very impressed with the throttle response on steep inclines.

We put 260 miles on in 5 days at Hatfield McCoy (Rockhouse, Bearwallow, and Buffalo Mtn.) Great trip.

Few pics of the machine in action
http://i42.tinypic.com/35ciz41.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2mhx9qt.jpg

Old 06-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the review, I hope one day it gets to run a few of the trails out here.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

Me too, actually we are already throwing the idea around. I think I got the wife on board.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The July 09 Dirt Wheels reviews it. They dis it for the lack of engine braking, but everything else is pretty positive.

They say that they would like to see a sportier version of it, with the racks pulled off and lightened up. The mags usually make comments like this because they are trying to make suggestions to the manufacturers, or sometimes they may know something is in the works and they are trying to give us a hint........

Old 06-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

I think that would be okay. I know I wouldn't be interested. I like being able to haul some things around. I could see it being a real fun machine if it were 100lbs less. Neat idea.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think one day I'll have to rent one and see what they're like. I've always wanted to ride one more than just around the parking lot at a dealer.

I can't believe that you got your new ATV dirty. LOL

Old 06-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

Also put some dents in the front skid plate, some scratches on the plastic, and a hole in one of the tires. Now its broke in.......

Old 06-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Specta
I think one day I'll have to rent one and see what they're like. I've always wanted to ride one more than just around the parking lot at a dealer.
I think you would like it. Still not sure if it would be great with two people on it. I will have to let you know once I carry a deer out of the woods how it handles with extra weight on it.

Like I said, going up will not be you problem. Coming down steep stuff with little engine braking will be much different than you are used too. Though if your buddies Arctic Cat was anything like my AC 2002 500i, than he would know what I am talking about. That thing had little engine braking as well.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The brakes seem pretty good, though I agree more engine braking and/or a low range would make the machine excel in a greater variety of riding situations.

I'm glad you like your new purchase. That rocky terrain is really fun on the Rincon.

Regarding magazine reviews, I remember reading a review of a new large twin cylinder. They wrote it a glowing review, even though they mentioned the suspension wallowed, and that they limped it back to the trail head while the shreading belt could be heard smacking around inside it's housing.

Magazine writers on a test ride I don't think value reliability as much as someone shopping to buy one does. I know they don't value good handling and suspension as much as I do.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JeffinTD
That rocky terrain is really fun on the Rincon.
I agree, Loved it a lot on the really technical stuff. Also was light enough to hold it up on a severe off camber turn. Its a nice machine.

Quick Reply: 09 Rincon Review