Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

TraxLok on Rincon

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Originally Posted by Specta
I have never seen or experienced this phenomenon. I wish I had a dollar for every time I have been stuck with one front wheel in the air only to watch it spin uselessly and the one with traction never move, just like every Honda I have ever seen.

Can Am uses a viscous coupler in their front diff, far superior to anything Honda ever has or ever will offer.
This response...is what I was affraid of. The Honda setup is more like a limited slip front-end...rather than a type of locker setup. Definitely need to sit and think about this more...before I pull the trigger on a NEW ATV.

Thanks for all the replies!

biz

Old 04-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I bought a brand new ATV today it would be either a new Rincon or another Rubicon, probably another Rubicon - a white one.

We ride in a large group with several different brands of ATVs from Hondas, Arctic Cats, Can Ams, Grizz's and one Polaris (if it's not in the shop getting a new belt installed).

In our group I break the trail, if I can't make it the rest figure it's not worth trying. Is my Honda the most agressive?? Nope, I am.

With both wheels on the groud they both dig, one in the air it spins. With the Trax'Lok I wish Honda would use something more aggressive in the front diff, I would love to see them use a viscous type like Can Am.

If I were to buy a Honda for "technical" trails I would buy a Rancher. I had a 2002 Rancher ES 4-wd and just being a little lighter made it more desirable when it got really tough.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:05 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

It takes a moment for the front end to reset itself, when you switch traction from one wheel to the other. The trick is when you see this happen, to quickly pump the front brake and this will quicken the reset.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by reconranger
The trick is

That's the problem; it's a "trick". It's not something that you should have to figure out how to make it work, it should just work but it doesn't.

I've worked the brakes till I'm blue in the face. Pumped them, snapped them and held them to no avail.

I love my Honda and will buy another one (if my current one ever wears out) but everyone knows that Honda has the worst front diff on the market today.

I hate the rev limiters on other ATVs when you lock their front diff but there's a reason for it and it's the way a front lock diff affects the steering. That why Polaris' 4-wd works so well is that the one wheel can "free-wheel" when not loaded.

The effect in the steering from a front locker is why Honda doesn't have one. They are too hard headed to ever consider something that someone else is already using.

I really wish Honda would use a viscous coupler in their front diff, they work excellent. They allow the front tires to turn at different speeds for corning yet will engage when one wheel spins faster than the other - even if one is elevated.

I would never let this keep me from buying a Honda.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to see you back Specta,

All I know is that my buddies Honda Rubicon could go through more stuff than my big AC500i with 12 inches of ground clearance. I think a lot of it is the stability of Honda machines vs the other big top heavy machines(other machines seem to lean back when in deep hole picking the front end up). The reality is that know matter what machine you have, you will get stuck if you are attempting questionable areas at some point.

Like Specta kinda said, does getting 2ft further in a hole worth all the shop costs and hassle that other machines give you. Take it from a guy that was told to buy a Honda and bought an Arctic cat b/c it was bigger and something different. I sold it after it broke down on me every year on our vacation for 5yrs.

I now proudly own 2 Honda's. Go for the reliability, not added unnecessary BS.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by reconranger
If they put the new Rancher 420 trans in the Rincon and Rubicon, that would be a significant improvement!
Are you talking about Rancher AT trans or the ES? Thanks

Old 02-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Bentrod
Are you talking about Rancher AT trans or the ES? Thanks
There's not an ATV trans out there that even holds a candle to the trans in the Rubicon.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Range Rover

Yes it is the best transmission, now if we can only get them to update the bike around it we'll have it made.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Michael2
Yes it is the best transmission, now if we can only get them to update the bike around it we'll have it made.
Amen.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Specta
There's not an ATV trans out there that even holds a candle to the trans in the Rubicon.
+1

Originally Posted by Michael2
My ultimate quad is still a rubicon w/ power steering, EFI, and some sort of locking front diffrential. the transmission and overall quality of a honda is tough to beat. don't believe me, ride one!