Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2005 Rincon 650 - what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Rincon 650 - what to look for?

Hello all. New here, but have read a lot and learned a lot on here. Now I have come seeking your expert advice. I am looking to buy a utility 4x4 mainly for trail riding and for hunting. I have always been a Honda fan (just sold my 400ex to get a utility) , but have read many posts saying that Honda has basically kinda dropped the ball on their utes in the power department, etc. Had pretty much talked myself into getting a new Polaris SP500 (don't shoot me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]), but just found a used 2005 Rincon 650 that I can pay cash for rather than financing anything, which sounds way better to me. My questions for all of you Honda gurus are as follows:

1. What do I need to be looking for as far as possible problem issues?
2. How would you rate the Rincon650 as a trail machine?
3. What kind of mileage can I expect (how far on a tank)
4. What size tires can I run on it without major modifications (lift, etc)
5. Is the 2005 version fuel injected or carb?

Info on the bike: 1167 miles, 181 hours, looks very good in pictures, and looks completely stock. I have not seen it in person yet, just found the ad tonight, and am trying to contact seller to look at it tomorrow, and possibly buy it unless there are any major issues with the rincon650 that I need to know about.

Thank ou all in advance for any and all input on this, and I look forward to yet again being educated by the wealth of knowledge here.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Really? Nobody has any opinions or insights to offer on this machine? I have read a lot of negative posts about Honda in general, but nothing specific. I know Honda can't be all bad, since I have never had a major problem, but was hoping for at least a little insight. Give me whatever you got, the good, the bad, and the ugly............Thanks.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

1. I've had a 2005 Rincon 650 bought new and after 700+ miles never had a problem.
2. I run trails, and except for needing a little wider turn, does fine; the 4x4 will get you out of many problems.
3. I've run 100 miles on a tank, but it was quite a bit of WOT. I'll fill the 300EX twice as much as i fille the rincon.
4. Without a a lift, you could put 26" tires under; anything under you should put at least 2" lift or you'll rub especially on the rough stuff
5. The 2005 is carb; in 2006 they put on fuel injection and boosted to 680

I have 5 honda's and with normal maintenance and upkeep haven't had problems.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Loghead,
Thanks for the reply. Do you think 1167 miles is a lot of miles for this machine, or not too much to worry about depending on condition? I have yet to look at it in person. I guess the guy is not too anxious to sell it, as he has yet to answer either of my emails ( only contact info on the ad is email), but is there anything in particular that I could liook for that would tell me if it has seen a lot of hard use, or anything specific to look for that would indicate a no buy situation?

Thanks again, Loghead, and I am still open to any and all input.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

If it's been taken care of, I wouldn't worry so much about the mileage. But I would check a few things out:
1. Plastic - good indicator of how bike's been treated. If it's creased; probably been flipped. The rincon uses mainly plastic fasteners - if these don't line up and the plastic is offset it's probably been wrecked or at least hit a few trees or obsticles.
2. Tires - with 1100 probably not new, but if severly worn will be a negotiating point
3. Rims - look for chips, cracks, bends or warping. Few dings are expected, but rims provide another good indicator of how it was used.
4. Oil - check the oil; look for brown, dark or smelly.
5. Differential oil - Rincon has plugs in both front/rear diff's on the side. Oil should be just at lower level when plug is pulled. Should be able to see or at least feel with finger and check. Supposed to changed every couple years so you can tell if it's been maintained or not. If it's like chocolate milk may have been exposed to water.
6. A-arms and frame - look for chips, cracks, breaks, especially where intersecting frame and weld points.
7. CV joint boots - look for cracks, breaks, tears and that they are not open to elements.
8. Air box/filter. look for evidence of water and that it's clean. Good indicator of maintenance.
9. Transmission is 3-speed auto with ESP (manual button shift). Run through gears both ways in both 2wd and 4wd.

These are pretty good machines and if maintained should last many years; if not maintained can be very expensive quickly.