Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 300ex What to Grease?

Well, I practically looked like an addict at work today with my
new grease gun needle in hand.

I want to know where on the quad Should I go sticking this thing,
how many pumps (standard grease gun) to put in
and weather or not to squeeze under the edge of the covers/boots/seals
or go right thru it, its a pretty fine and sharp point.

I was thinking all the stuff on the front end.. but What else?

Old 08-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont poke through anything.. slip the nedle under or behind..

Use marine grade green greese, and lube up EVERYTHING! pump that stuff in until it squirts out somewhere else... pay attention to if the greese is removing dirt or rust. if so keep squirting that stuff in until the nasty stuff stops coming out..

But If i was you.. instead of poking things. dissasemble a section at a time and clean and regrese Everything that moves...

I just finished a full regrease on my 300ex. and lemme tell ya buddie. the bike rides 1000 times smoother and quieter....

Old 08-20-2008, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

It didnt look like id be able to go behind any of the front end seals e asily, and I wasnt about to take the whole thing apart, everything looks decent shape up there.

The needle is tiny, and you can barley see the puncture if you squint,
its not open, its just a tiny mark.

Pumped a bunch of grease in, but not enough to bust the seals, bad idea!

Old 08-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

I've never greased anything in the front end, with the exception of packing new wheel bearings, greasing brake seals, greasing CV axle shafts when dissasembled and so on. As for everythign else such as ball joints, I've never greatsed them, when you poke a hole in you make a place for grease to get out and water to get in. My ball joints are 10 years old and I've had to replace one (torn boot).

Old 08-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

You go sticking a bunch of grease all over the place where it shouldn't be, and all it is going to do is attract a bunch of dirt and turn into grinding paste!

Never ever greased anything on any Honda I have ever owned, except for that rubber bushing on the steering stem and the swingarm pivot bolt if I ever had occasion to remove it.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Trailblazer

Well, mine is nasty as hell..
The guy I got it from really messed up the A-arms..
And when he put it all back together. he forgot to put the seals back on.. So mine needs greese ALOT. like every 5 rides I pull it apart. clean it and regrease it all.
This is temprary until my 96 Talon is back on the road. which then I will bolt on 450R suspension all the way around.

Just understand I got this 300ex for free not running with a locked up clutch. the guy bought a clutch assembly from ebay. and not knowing what he bought, he installed a basket assembly from a 250ex.. which in turn has a smaller main shaft bushing, which caused the clutch to lock up solid upon tighting the mainshaft nut.
3 days of scratching my head and cussing. until i measured the basket and the bushing t find the problem...

LOL it also had been painted 3 times. silver. red again then blue, the guy even painted the seat!...
So after ALOT of work. Ive got a fully running 300ex back to original red plastics. along with 260 watts of light on the front! yea I do ALOT of night riding. in some Very nasty and technical trails..

Old 08-21-2008, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

I honestly dont think a tiny pinhole that sealed its self back up is going to create problems for me,
If you guys really think it will, I'll put a little weather stripping sealant over the holes.
Recon, I only added grease inside, no mess, very clean, nothing broke out of the seals, So unless there
is crap in there, which they looked allright to me, I dont think I could have done any harm. Grease is good

Old 08-21-2008, 09:52 PM
No Ruts, No Glory

I have done quite a bit of work on my old 300EX, and support your idea of greasing everything...all it took was the rear axle carrier bearings failing (and wrecking the axle and internal axle shafts) to make me realize that "sealed" bearings aren't all they are cracked up to be...use that grease needle, and use it a lot!!!

Old 08-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

Off topic, ezdaar, what kind of lighting do you have?!?!?!? picS?

Old 08-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer

LOL. Ill try and get a pic up tonight, since I need to swap my starter solinoid anyways...
I donot have the stock headlight. some joker removed it long ago. so I had to get creative..

Im useing a Very oversized battery from a 79 4 cylinder street bike, to power all of these.
I can have ALL of my lights on with the engine off for over 10minutes and still fire the bike up with the electric starter. NP!

Have 2 of These Mounted on a custom mount. that is raised 1" above the handle bar cross bar. those lights are the exact shape that I have, butmine also have a small blue bulb inside tht I changed out for a clear bulb.
The Tiny clears are my Low beams, for creeping around the neighborhood and sneaking out of the trails at night. while This mounted behind bumper.. and the upper whites are on my High beam.. so all 3 are on at once.

And These mounted directly below the upper white lights ( used for Extreme sandy conditions at night). The yellows are wired to a secondary switch mounted just to the right of the handlebars in the plastics.. Right next to my 12volt accesory plug. aka ciggeret lighter.

Everything is wired into their own relays and fuse. all tucked in nice and pretty with plastic wire covers, all routed so in noway possible can a stick rip them off...
All lights and connections are sealed up with silicone. For deep water crossings.
When I get off my a$$ Im going to use the extra Light as a Reverse Light wired on a relay thats activted Via the lil Reverse light on the dash..
LOL last sat. I was out in alil over 3 foot of water. My lower High beam was lighting up like 20 feet of creek water. because it was submerged.
All in all I have 2 55 watt beam Whites, 2 55 watt beam yellows, and 1 100 watt flood white.
LOL my bad, my math was off.. its over 320 watts of lights. LOL!
Needles to say. Everyone wants to ride with me at night. and in noway wants to be looking at my setup at night. it will blind you from 100 yards away!

Ok my preview is showing my links are being lazy. Ill try and get a pic on here later tonight... . You guys are going to want to see this after that description.