Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

help with 03 rancher

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with 03 rancher

was out riding today and the more i ran it the worse it got. just didnt seem like it was gettting power and then when i came to a complete stop it shut off. it started back though, but it just seems weak. i can put it in neutral and rev it and it responds good. i can shut it off for a day and then start it again on the first try.

one thing i did notice was that the engine seemed to be getting a little hotter than normal. i havent ridden much, just up the field to feed the animals, but i dont remember it getting as hot on longer rides. i have had it five years and the cooling fan has never come on.

anyway before i take it to the dealer does anybody have any suggestions?
thanks in advance

Old 08-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a lack of fuel. More specifically it sounds like the float in the carb maybe sticking closed (up) and not letting enough fuel in. So when the engine is stopped the bowl has enough time to fill back with sufficient fuel to keep it going for awhile after you restart it. Then the engine will die back down as the reserve in the bowl diminishes. If this is the case it would also explain why you feel the engine is running hotter since it is probably running lean. Best bet is to clean out the carb, make sure the fuel line is not clogged, and make sure the gas is clean and free of water. This is just my 2 cents but again it seems like she is being starved of fuel.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the help. that makes sense. what about a coil going bad?