Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Sea Foam Convert

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sea Foam Convert

So I was reading about Sea Foam on here thinking that is was no different than any of the other miracle products but I happened to be in an automotive store and saw it so I bought it.

My ATV smokes a bit, especially when it gets warm. I put in the no smoke thick oil treatment which initially works when the bike is cold until the oil gets hot and then the bike returns to smoking.

Yesterday my son was riding the quad around the yard and it started smoking so I called him over and put some sea foam in the tank and the engine, maybe 1/4 of a can total and the quad stopped smoking after one lap around the yard.

I'm a convert now. What I'm wondering is - how long will it last? anyone have any comments on it?

Old 08-09-2008, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sea Foam Convert

I heard about the Sea Foam from these forums about 4 years ago , at the time i had a 88' GMC S1500 Jimmy MPV 4x4 with over 300 thousand miles when i bought it ; i was told by the previous owner the Engine and drivetrain had only 87 thousand miles since they were rebuilt !

After i had driven it about 75 miles it started smoking real bad after warm up , and it jumped time in my driveway after i did a complete service and tuneup ; with over 3/4 tank of fuel at over $3.00 a gallon i knew it would be at least a year before i could save up for the parts and labor to fix it !

So to keep it from going bad i poured a full 16 oz. can of Sea Foam into the tank and had my brothers shake the Jimmy long enough to mix the fuel and Sea Foam , 1 and a 1/2 yrs. later i had it repaired ; parts i replaced ( timing chain , gears , starter , flywheel and gaskets !

After i had driven it 20 miles it started smoking again , so i made up my mind i was going to sell it asap ; i was waiting untill i had new seals installed in the transmission of my 87' Chevy S10 pickup there was a holdup on the parts !

After i had burned a half tank of the mixed fuel in the Jimmy , i topped off the tank one last time ; after i left from the gas station i got stopped at a traffic light !

When it changed to green i looked into the driver side mirrow expecting to see a cloud of smoke on take off , but this time it didn't smoke ; and it's been smoke free for almost 2 year's now and i haven't had to add anymore of the Sea Foam since !

There was excessive carbon build-up inside the combustion chamber causing the rings to stick , this was the only thing that could've caused the Jimmy to smoke ; so i'm with you on the Sea Foam !......

Old 08-09-2008, 03:19 AM
RIP Dear Friend
Default Sea Foam Convert

I don't know what to think of sea foam but I did buy my first bottle because of C, not sure if I will use it or it will become an art object [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-14-2008, 11:42 PM
Trailblazer
Default Sea Foam Convert

Just to give ya'll a headsup on SEAFOAM. It's OK to pour some in tank and crankcase(engine)but, your ONLY suppose to leave SEAFOAM in engine for few miles then change oil and filter!!!Reason it breaks loose deposits,and can clog oil galleries. Just my 2!! Stuff works GREAT

Old 08-14-2008, 11:47 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default Sea Foam Convert

If you are smoking because of worn rings, how would something that removes deposits (which are gumming up the rings and sealing them) help??? Kind of goes against logic....

Old 08-15-2008, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer
Default Sea Foam Convert

I'm with you on the lack of logic.

I don't see how putting something thinner than oil is going to stop it smoking.

Note I didn't say reduce, I said stop - this thing doesn't smoke at all now.

I don't care how it works, it just did, and as long as the motor doesn't lock up on me I'm not going to question it.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:51 AM
The Facility
Default Sea Foam Convert

I've used this stuff for a couple years now in both our autombiles and ATVs alike.

Brusier is right,.... you are not suppose to leave it in the engine. In fact, i never leave the garage after pouring it in. That stuff is hell on some rubber parts and it's not worth taking a chance.
Same applies when using it in fuel tanks,.. it will essenatially "melt" SOME fuel lines depending on the rubber used and the same goes for Mikuni carbs,..they dont like it over the long haul.

But it cleans an engine like nothing else and something I even use on the race quads. You can split any of my engines and will find absolutely no sludge whatsoever,... incuding those puddle areas in the center cases that you find on any engine regardless of oil type used.

Seafoam works,... just dont overdo it.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sea Foam Convert

i would think changing the oil and filter would help a lot more than seafoam........your just prolonging a problem

Old 08-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Sea Foam Convert

Anyone ever spray it directly into the intake?

Had to buy a cheap spray bottle, and if you have kids around the house like I do, I tossed it in the trash.

Anyway, while motor is running at idle speed, spray some in, and work the throttle enough to keep it running, not over revving. It will put out a lot of smoke, but trust me, it's cleaning the intake too.

I would have never used it if it weren't for C.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sea Foam Convert

Scooter you can get Seam Foam in spray form , it's called Deep Creep at most all Auto Parts Stores ; i've used it for a couple yrs on small lawn and garden engines that weren't winterized before storage without having to teardown carbs for cleaning !....

Quick Reply: Sea Foam Convert