Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2006 Honda TRX450ER Notes! OWNERS OF UNITS LOOK HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 10:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Honda TRX450ER Notes! OWNERS OF UNITS LOOK HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello,
I am a new person to this forum........but for a reason. As an enthuiast rider and a quad junkie I felt I need to pass along some info to the 06 450ER guys out there. I am also a Honda Technican and get all the Honda Service info down the pipeline that most guys dont get! SO here it goes. I hope that most of you are aware of the proper starting procedures for your unit! IF YOU HOLD THE THROTTLE OPEN WHILE STARTING YOUR UNIT YOU MAY DESTROY THE STARTER CLUTCH! Honda posted in the WRENCH letter to mechanics this past month! Also, I have had 5 450's come back from buyers in a very short period of time for dead batteries. I am almost certain that this is caused by many of these guys tryin to start their 450 in 30 degree weather (for which it is not properly jetted for). If you are having trouble starting your 450ER in the cold weather pull off the seat and put ur hand over the intake hole on the air box( ultimately choking the engine more than just the choke button) and it should start! I had a 450 in 10 degree weather sit outside all night long and started the unit this way. If you do not follow such freezing cold starting procedures you WILL KILL YOUR BATTERY! This battery is very very small compared to the YTX 14 on a 400EX! One other idea is when the quad is then running turn on the headlight! This makes the battery charge better! I hope if any of the 450 guys out there have any ????'s they will hit me up on here because I want to help.

Sorek

Old 03-24-2006, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the information!!

Old 03-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

I hope if any of the 450 guys out there have any ????'s they will hit me up on here because I want to help.
Nice of you to offer, I'm sure you will get some replys to that. In fact, I have a question for ya. When I installed the HRC kit I noticed that the intake valves are shim-under bucket- arrangement but the exhaust, being the valves actuated by the rocker arm, were not. At least I did not see the buckets there. My buddy bought the service manual so I read up on the valve adjustment procedure which stated that the exhaust valves were shim-under. I have not had it apart since I installed the kit and the valves were dead on with the new cam so I have not messed with it any further.
Question: are the exhaust valves shim under? If not how do you adjust them.
Thanks

Old 03-25-2006, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JSsDS
I hope if any of the 450 guys out there have any ????'s they will hit me up on here because I want to help.
Nice of you to offer, I'm sure you will get some replys to that. In fact, I have a question for ya. When I installed the HRC kit I noticed that the intake valves are shim-under bucket- arrangement but the exhaust, being the valves actuated by the rocker arm, were not. At least I did not see the buckets there. My buddy bought the service manual so I read up on the valve adjustment procedure which stated that the exhaust valves were shim-under. I have not had it apart since I installed the kit and the valves were dead on with the new cam so I have not messed with it any further.
Question: are the exhaust valves shim under? If not how do you adjust them.
Thanks
Both intake and exhaust use shims but only the intake use buckets. The intake lobes on the cam ride directly on the buckets but the exhaust valves are opened w/ a rocker arm which ride on the shims. The cam/cam holder ***'y needs to be unbolted and removed, like you did to install the HRC cam, to replace the shims.

Sorek, nice to see another Honda technician on the forums.

Old 03-25-2006, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

1988TRX250R, Thanks for the reply. Now I know what to expect when I do have to adjust the valves

Old 03-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Trailblazer

Hey! How are you?! Ya know its guys like you that make me keep coming back to this forum!! I posted a question about a week ago but no one has replied to me, its still there! Anyway i thought you if no one else, you might be able to help me. my post was about my 04 450R and racing a couple FAST quads, but a couple times i accidently shifted to N, reved the engine and in the excitement shifted to 2 with a hard CLICK!, Now while the engine is running its almost impossible to get it into N,(it does go in sometimes but its a rare ocasion) BUT when the engines not running it goes into N butter smooth like it should. Did i waist my tranny? or is there still hope?

Please any info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks MIke G.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

Not exactly sure who you are asking but I can throw out a suggestion. I doubt you damaged your tranny but obviously didn't do it any good. For your clutch issue, try changing the trans oil and use the Honda HP Trans oil. Other then that, check your lever adjustment to be sure you are getting full stroke but still have a small amount of free play.
Incidentally, My trans is somewhat difficult to get into nutural while its running. Has always been that way so I never gave it much thought.

Old 03-25-2006, 02:00 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you for the info guys. Keep it coming!

Old 03-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

As a Honda technician I'm hoping you can provide some feedback in regards to the 06 450ER HRC Kit. In reading through the literature that comes with the kit it suggests that the piston needs to be replaced after 15-hours. Just wondering what your take is on that issue and wheter or not you've seen any premature piston failures as a result of installing the HRC kit.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

They meen 15 racing hrs. The average ride never abuses the engine like a racer. My buddy Ron has about 100 hrs on his with the hrc kit. Ron and his son ride aleast 3 times a week since october and bought his with the hrc kit installed. I have the hrc kit and about 15 hrs on mine I dont like to ride in the mud.

Quick Reply: 2006 Honda TRX450ER Notes! OWNERS OF UNITS LOOK HERE!!!!!!!!!!!