Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon Fan not turning on..

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon Fan not turning on..

I have a 2002 Rubicon with 5,000 miles on it...

at 3500miles my Electric cooling fan went the bearings in it seized and it didnt work so i bought a new one and plugged it all in and hooked it up right but its never turned on...usually i can hear it when it does esp if i stop and listen and or shut it off and turn the key on the fan used to run...now it doesnt run at all...Right after i replaced the fan it still never turned on.. the fuse underneath the seat is good..the new fan is fine..it just doesnt turn on...What the heck is wrong with it? My connections were all clean when i installed the new one... Go figure... I'd like to have it work.. i usually drive in feilds so i havent had the over temp light come on but i know it will if its hot enough or if i start working it...

Old 05-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did drive it once pulling the kids around on a sled in about a foot of snow this winter which did make the temp light come on.. but no fan...any help would be great...i've never touched the coolant system but i'm planning on flushing the antifreeze and hopfully getting the fan to work again..

Old 05-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you try grounding the coolant thermosensor wire , it is on the thermostat housing (beside the carburator) .. Ground the green/blue wire or short the wire to ground with a jumper wire turn the ignition on and the fan should start ..

Old 05-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

There is a black sensor on the left side of the carb. and 3 wires running out of it... but its green with a yellow strip.. no blue.. is this the one?

Old 05-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one you are talking about is the TP sensor (throttle position) .. Look beside the carb (not on the carb) here it is ..

Old 05-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Trailblazer

This may sound extreme but your bike has almost as many miles as my 04 450S, I have 7125 miles on mine, and the exact same thing happened to me. When I replaced the fan, for some strange reason the fan control box (mounted right next to the CDI) blew. Honda shop told me it was a perfect time to wire and mount a toggle switch to the fan, unless I wanted to pay almost 200 bucks for the box. Only downside is that the box also powered the oil temp light, so now I just flip my switch every time I slow down and get in the woods on the trail. No problems as of yet, there's just no oil temp light anymore. Keep in mind that our cooling system is not designed as an engine cooler, but as an engine oil cooler. There are some benefits to it blowing on the engine, but ours is still categorized as 'air cooled'. The fan pulls backwards through the cooler and keeps the oil temp down. So running your fan during the heavy stuff or while slowing down through trails can't hurt. Just a suggestion...

Old 05-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Trailblazer

Wow I totally messed that up, I just noticed your previous post that mentioned antifreeze. My bad, I thought those older Rubicons were still air cooled. Not sure if it's okay to run the fan all the time or not on those. **Foot in mouth**

Old 03-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Trailblazer

Anyone know the engine temp of an Foreman air cooled that causes the fan to kick on?