Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

REDLINE SHOCKPROOF IN THE TRX450r TRANS

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REDLINE SHOCKPROOF IN THE TRX450r TRANS

The 80w gear oil that REDLINE sells with shockproof has friction modifiers in it ; I thought that was a no - no for the trans side ......REDLINE guy tell's me "it's satisfactory" . I have read these diffrent posts here on oil for the trx 450 until i'm nearly blind !

I'm going with Maxum 4 extra or Amisol MCF in the engine side , but I want the best I can get in the trans.... I got MAXIMA MTL which i`m sure is "satisfactory" .
But I want to use the REDLINE 80W gear oil if I can .

What say "ye ?

Old 03-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.redlineoil.com/prod...oryID=16&categoryID=6

I have been running Redlines 80W Gear Oil with Shockproof in my 450R trans for about a year now. It is weird stiff, that looks more like paint than oil. It contains micorscopic particles that form a layer between the gears, so there is never any metal-to-metal contact. On the gear surface, the shockproof acts like a grease yet there isn't the fluid drag of a thicker oil, so you are getting the utmost in protection.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that it contains friction modifiers??? Their motor oil contains synthetic friction modifiers, but they are not the type that will make a wet clutch slip (even though it is JASO MB).

Tom Morgan (a local engine builder, and now of White Bros Racing) is the one who originally started running shockproof in 2-stroke tramsmissions many many years ago, and now 450R trannies....so this stuff is time tested and not just some untested off the wall idea that somebody had.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Red Rider

Also, all you 450R guys. Be sure to run extra oil in your trans! Fill it to the weep hole, take it for a very short ride, then refull to the hole and add an extra 100 cc's or so. Dirt bike guys are running a full quart.

The reason is, that 3rd and 5th gears are lubed only by splash, and with more oil they will get better lubrication coverage. Dirt bike guys have had their transmissions lock up going 70 miles an hour....not something I ever want to experience myself!

Old 03-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Recon for taking the time to post your comments - I`m going with REdline from here on out . And I'm adding 100c.c's to the tran -even though a few feller's say not to .
Thats one thing their is no shortage of here - OPINIONS !!

And I value yours very highly ...............[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Red Rider

If you search old posts in the dirt bike forums, this tranny issue was a big problem for a while. The trans will hold 2 quarts. If you put 2 quarts in it, it will puke out 1 quart and leave you with 1 quart...that is how everybody ended up deciding 1 quart was the way to go. On the dirt bike, Honda made some design changes mid year in 07 to help fix the problem.

Mostly, the problem seems to occur when a dirt bike is ridden at high speed on level ground. I have never actually heard of a quad having the same problem, but why take a chance....it's just a little extra oil???

Old 03-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer

Your advice is good enough for me , I just put new Redline oil in the engine and and Shockproof in the Trans.... the shockproof look`s like green paint !
It took the full quart to bring it up to the H line , and almost the full quart in the trans ( how much is 100 c.c.'s anyway ? )

Then I rode it -for the very first time !! ( it's a 2005 with only 15 - 20 hours on it )

I was surprised that first gear is geared so high ; this machine is obviously made to race -I really dont think for weekend trail riders it needs to go 70 + miles per hour ........ maybe if I had a death wish it would be fine . I can't see getting out of third gear on my 60 acre farm and I will no doubt gear it way down .
You fellers who said you have to slip the cluth alot on tight trails and at low r.p.m's ; I gotta agree with you 100 % .

Any advice on the gears ? I read a low tooth front spocket is hard on the chain ,
and I can go as big as will fit on the rear one ..........

I got a brand new 2008 and will break it in befor going synthetic's ....maybe it's got more power starting slowly in first gear

Old 03-20-2008, 07:54 AM
Red Rider

I ride mostly very fast open desert on the 450R, and even I went down a tooth on the front sprocket! For a trail rider, it is a must. The 06 and later models, come with the smaller sprocket stock. I lose some top end, but the acceleration is a real thrill....much like the old Banshee....

Not sure what 100cc's is in ounces? I just give the bottle an extra good squirt, once I have it filled to the weep hole.

Do either of these machines have the HRC kit??? The R has good bottom end already, but the kit will net you mostly mid and top end. The absolutely fastest R I know, has nothing but an HRC kit and the stock muffler that is uncorked.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Trailblazer

No , neither has HRC kit..........
I'm off to the farm to ride Wolf Creek !
I tell you how they ran in 2 weeks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-03-2008, 03:02 AM
Trailblazer

I'm back from the farm and sure was a blast riding the TRX's !
The 2008 blew the door's off the 2005 , that's for sure.
The fenders are worthless for protecting the rider from water/mud though ![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

I noticed the '05 has an aux. radiator for oil cooling and the '08 do's not .whats up with that ??
An oil cooler is a hellova good idea -what made Honda feel it wasn`t a nessasary feature on the newer models ?

The Redline products seemed to work well and I got the '08 good and broke in

Old 04-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Red Rider

Some desert racers will deliberately choose the 04/05 just becasue of the oil cooler. Many DNF's in the last Vegas to Reno becasue of overheating.......

Quick Reply: REDLINE SHOCKPROOF IN THE TRX450r TRANS