Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher ES

Old 12-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher ES

Ok my 2001 Rancher ES will shift up and down great with no problems. BUT when i try to go into reverse it want do it. I have to shift into reverse manually and when i do that i have to trun off the key and back on for the ES to work again. I see a lot of ES problems out there so maybe some one can help me PLEASE??????? Also will it hurt anything if i just start using the manual shift all together? Thanks!!!!!!!

Old 12-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rancher ES

WUTS UP..SORRY BOUT THE LUCK..SOUNDS LIKE EITHER THE WIRE TO THE REVERSE SWITCH IS DISCONNECTED..OR THE REVERSE CABLE NEEDS ADJUSTING....

A LOT OF PPL HAVE A PROBLEMS WITH THE ES MODELS DO TO POOR MAINTENANCE..THERE IS A BANK ANGLE SENSOR THAT WORKS OFF OF OIL PRESSURE..WHEN OIL ISNT CHANGED THE SENSOR GOES OUT AND THE DASH FLASHES....

Old 12-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rancher ES

Sorry, my friend, the 350 Rancher does not have a bank angle sensor. A bank angle sensor is used on newer fuel injected quads, gold wings, and sport bikes. When the unit exceeds a certain angle of lean, it cuts power to igniton or fuel systems. The oil switch you are refering to will shut down the ignition system when no oil pressure is noted. Some of these oil pressure activated switches will turn off electric fuel pumps when no oil is noted. The Rancher 350 does not have this style of oil cut off switch.
Yes, the wire you speak of could be disconnected or broken or the sender may be bad. Also the cable may not be disengaging the reverse mechanism.

----- Gimpster -----

Old 12-21-2007, 12:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rancher ES

Thanks for the input guys. I thought about adjusting the reverse cable but i can put it in reverse with the manual shift so i would think that it would not go in reverse with the manual shift if the cable needed adjusting right. I will however check the wire to the reverse switch. Is the wire is located where the shift buttons are or is it somewhere else? Thanks for the hlep!!!!!!!

Old 12-21-2007, 07:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default Rancher ES

Old 12-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rancher ES

GREAT thanks Hondamechanic!!!! Great pic and info. Where did you find that pic by the way. Hopefully this works lol Thanks again!!!!!!!

Old 12-21-2007, 07:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rancher ES

YEAH..MY BAD ON THE BANK ANGLE SENSOR HONDA JUST CALLS IT A ANGLE SENSOR..WHICH IS LOCATED IN THE FRONT OF THE ENGINE....

Old 12-21-2007, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rancher ES

Just my way of giving you a bad time... hehehe

It's all good !

----- Gimpster -----

Old 12-28-2007, 10:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rancher ES

Got GREAT news guys i got my reverse working again. The reverse shift switch wire was disconnected. Thanks for all the help guys. It was realy easy to fix but i would not have it without yall. THANKS!!!!!!!

Old 01-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rancher ES

Hey guys, lets take this subject a little farther....

When my 2000 rancher es would not go to reverse I found out that it was the wire you have been talking about. I have had it fall off and have put it on several times. The end that I am putting back on is kind of like a little spark plug wire end and I see a crack in the wire before the fitting too.

My question is, can I put a new wire on myself? It is falling off way too often now and is a real drag. I have not raised it up yet too look under to see. Can I just buy the wire and hopefully it has a terminal that is accessable to me to just bolt it on without having to take something apart???

Thank's, Whihtetailer.......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rancher ES